cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Not Recognizing Media

cmptrwhiz
Level 3
Good day. We had a media server that was taken offline and renamed prior to removing it's information from Netbackup.

We have tape with data we need access to, but we cannot get Netbackup to recognize the tapes. Also, upon trying to import, we encounter the 251 error message continually.

This didn't work:

1. Import the tape as normal into the library; make note of the SLOT that it gets put into.
2. Go to the media section of the Admin Console and expand to your robot.
3. DELETE the volume that you had put in (L15YO1).
4. ADD a new volume manually
5. While adding the volume, put the 'A00043' as the volume name and specify the slot that you know the tape is in.
6. Run your import

This didn't work:

IPL (reboot) the tape library and run robtest.

This didn't work:

Resolution for leftover MAP lock files:
If a prior eject attempt was interrupted by a system crash or if the vmchange process was killed by an administrator, there might be leftover lock files in the volmgr/misc directory. These lock files are meant to be temporary files used to help prevent multiple eject processes from trying to use the same MAP simultaneously. Resolve this problem by first verifying that there are no active vmchange or vlteject processes, and then removing any "EJECT*.txt" files in the volmgr/misc directory. This file will be on the Robot Control Host listed in the profile.

If another eject is not occurring, then check to make sure the lock files were properly cleaned up from the last eject. These files can be found on the robot control host listed in the profile. It will be necessary to check for any EJECT*.txt files in the /usr/openv/volmgr/misc directory on UNIX systems or the <install_dir>\Volmgr\misc directory on Windows systems.

And, this didn't work:

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER =

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

Jim-m
Level 5
Which version of NBU ?
Has the density of the media changed ?

Jim  

cmptrwhiz
Level 3
NB 4.5
The media has not changed.

Thank you for responding.

cmptrwhiz
Level 3
This server that was taken offline is rebuilt just like the server before. Is there an identifier in NB that is halting this process of the restore of data back to this server?

Amit_Bhardwaj
Level 2
Certified
Is the barcode label pasted on the tape , is this the old one or new one , have you given any new logical label to the tape ? also can you paste the logs for bpimport ?

cmptrwhiz
Level 3
Thank you for responding. I wasn't able to obtain the output as you requested. So, I have another question:

Can I run this command and add a tape:

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = fromhost tohost

I need to really restore this data as soon as possible. Once this command is run, can I do an inventory of the tape and then restore the data to a new location?

If not, is there any way to add a 'foreign' tape (OLD, FROM DECOMMISSIONED SERVER, etc...) and then import and then restore data???

cmptrwhiz
Level 3
We have LTO2 tapes and I have an LTO3 drive that will read those tapes.

Can I just extract the data from the tapes with my LTO3 drive and go on from there???

Or does NB store the data on tape in a way that cannot be read by anything other than NB??? If so, is there a way around that? I just need to get the data back.

Thank you in advance.