Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup OST with Datadomain

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Hi Experts,

I am using Netbackup 7.6.0.2 in Windows 2008 and SYmantec Appliance 5230 as media server. Please let me know what are the disadvantages if i move the backups from symantec appliance 5230(Media server-MSDP) to Datadomain. I would like to know all the demerits of datadomain compare to symantec appliance

Couple of things i came to know listed below. Please provide the rest of points that you are aware about the demerits of Datadmain

1) OST will no support VMWare instant recovery

2) OST will not support Targeted Automatic Image Replication 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

anohter + point  :- you can not make Client side dedup with Data domain.. but with MSDP you can.

other info :-

MSDP/applicance has stoage space limitations but with data domain you can extends the space to hundereds of TB (depends on model)

and data Domain is more Robost and have good perfromance and comprasion .

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The 52XX and EMC Data Domain are complimentary product and not competing in my view.

It like saying what is best a hammer or screwdriver - obvious a nail and screwdriver is not the best combination. But a hammer and nails is. It the same with the 5230 and Data Domain - they both have areas where they are superior over the other.

Jim-90
Level 6

DD's can used as backup target outside of NBU.  I.E the DBA's can manage their own backups directly to CIFS or NFS share.  Less work the NBU admins. 

DD have DDBOOST for Oracle-RMAN (licensed $$).  Another task given out to the DBAs to manage.

If you are using DDBOOST for NBU found it very similiar MSDP in setting up for replication via SLP etc.

DDs can more efficient at deduplication e.g.  Lotus has LZ1 comrpession on all attachments, as the default, I found DD dedupe is more effiicent than NBU MSDP. 

All frimware upgrades done by EMC (remotely) assuming that a part of your suppot package. 

Increase your skill set if you manage one of these.  May advantage in your next job application.

I know of one site where the applicances seem to have a reltivley high failure rate.  Going to data centers to change disks gets annoying after a while.  My experience with DDs is they have a very low failure rate of disks.  I could be just lucky.

5 REPLIES 5

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

anohter + point  :- you can not make Client side dedup with Data domain.. but with MSDP you can.

other info :-

MSDP/applicance has stoage space limitations but with data domain you can extends the space to hundereds of TB (depends on model)

and data Domain is more Robost and have good perfromance and comprasion .

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

DD  supports  AIR and all of the features supported by 7.6.0.x. Check HCL  for latest supported features for DD and NBU appliances.

DD does not do client side dedupe which is the biggest  plus for NBU appliances .

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The 52XX and EMC Data Domain are complimentary product and not competing in my view.

It like saying what is best a hammer or screwdriver - obvious a nail and screwdriver is not the best combination. But a hammer and nails is. It the same with the 5230 and Data Domain - they both have areas where they are superior over the other.

Ajith_Sankar
Level 6
Certified

Thanks everyone.

Jim-90
Level 6

DD's can used as backup target outside of NBU.  I.E the DBA's can manage their own backups directly to CIFS or NFS share.  Less work the NBU admins. 

DD have DDBOOST for Oracle-RMAN (licensed $$).  Another task given out to the DBAs to manage.

If you are using DDBOOST for NBU found it very similiar MSDP in setting up for replication via SLP etc.

DDs can more efficient at deduplication e.g.  Lotus has LZ1 comrpession on all attachments, as the default, I found DD dedupe is more effiicent than NBU MSDP. 

All frimware upgrades done by EMC (remotely) assuming that a part of your suppot package. 

Increase your skill set if you manage one of these.  May advantage in your next job application.

I know of one site where the applicances seem to have a reltivley high failure rate.  Going to data centers to change disks gets annoying after a while.  My experience with DDs is they have a very low failure rate of disks.  I could be just lucky.