cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Per TB License

aviltauro
Level 4

Let's assume I have a 10TB netbackup license and I have 100 servers each with 100GB data.

Now in what terms this 10TB licene is applicable? Can anyone explain me this in detail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Capacity license has the advantage that dedupe is now included. It is also a lot easier to manage as you only need to keep track of front end capacity. Host based licenses in a big environment is more difficult to keep track of, especially when you have db agents and media servers, because you need to also keep track of tier levels. As far as pricing is concerned, you need to get quotations for both as it will be different for each unique environment.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A 10 TB license allows you to back up 10TB of Front End data

So if you have 100 clients with 100Gb of data a single full backup of everything is 100000GB - or about 10TB of Front End data

So you can back those clients up as many times as you like under your license

If you add extra clients you would exceed the license so would need to buy more

You can also use all agents and options (apart from de-dupe) using that license and have as many Master and Media Servers, Enterprise Clients etc. as you like to perform your backups

Hope that makes sense

aviltauro
Level 4

a) So in this case how exactly the netbackup keep a track of the total data backed up?

b) Does it stop working once it exceeds the data limit?

Marianne
Level 6
NetBackup does not count. It will not stop working when license usage is exceeded. You have an obligation to remain legally compliant. As a matter of interest, NBU 7.6 capacity license includes dedupe.

aviltauro
Level 4

Thank you very much for clarifying my doubts.

Could you give me an example where capacity based license is preferred over per client licnese.

Marianne
Level 6
Capacity license has the advantage that dedupe is now included. It is also a lot easier to manage as you only need to keep track of front end capacity. Host based licenses in a big environment is more difficult to keep track of, especially when you have db agents and media servers, because you need to also keep track of tier levels. As far as pricing is concerned, you need to get quotations for both as it will be different for each unique environment.