cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Policies wont start on particular day

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

My problem might sound a bit weird but this has been happening for past over 2 months

I have a Master Server 6.5.3.1 with around 15 policies. My FULL backup starts on thursday and DIFF on rest of the week days (diff starts of on 8 pm). Weird thing is only on Sunday all the 8 pm policies never start at all. But 2 policies which are scheduled on 1 am and 2 am respectively starts off as well as a policy at 5 am starts n DIFF happens. I have not idea of what could be the weird reason behind this. One more thing to be noticed is there are couple of policies where i have 1 server (in each polcies)added which is not working (not on the network for time being with error 58 i.e not pinging), these servers show up at the Activity Monitor  even though the servers on the same policy which is working fine doesnt even start (the diff doesnt start).
I have logs enabled but i dont know which logs to check. If the jobs never started will the logs be there? I have also noticed today another of my Master Server the Diff never started for any policy at 8 PM but i could see the servers which are not working (58 error not pinging) are on the Acitivity Monitor. I have also tried chaning the DIFF timing on each policies from 8 pm to 8:30 PM but its the same.

Has anyone come across this issue. Rest of the days the DIFF is perfectly working fine except Sunday night 8 pm DIFF. I can past the logs but which one if some1 wants to see it?

Any comments or suggestions? I found this very hard to digest :)

Thank you all in advance!!!!

ABBY
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Calendar based scheduling has been known to be unreliable with windows crossing midnight. Some list members will probably disagree with me, but this has been my personal experience.

The admin guide also warns against it:

"Daily windows are taken into account, even when calendar-based schedules are used. Windows that span midnight become two separate windows for calendar schedules. After the policy is created, the initial backups may appear as though two backups have run within the same window.
If the calendar schedule indicates that today is a run day, the backup runs once during any window that is open."

This is exactly what happened in your case - the Saturday night schedule is open across midnight. As this is seen as 'two separate windows' (as per the manual), the 12:04:00 backup is considered as Sunday's backup.

For this reason I have preferred to stay with Frequency based scheduling for daily and weekly schedules and only use Calendar based schedules for backups that cannot be scheduled with Frequency based, like Monthly and Yearly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

Few things i noticed:

1. Backups did happen and it is showing under Backup Archieve Restore as yesterday 20th but instead of showing the backup time as 8 PM on 20th it is showing the backup happened on 12:04:00 am ie. 20 hour behind the actual time.

2. the backups were done and i could see the DIFFERENTIAL files/folders backedup.

This is only on Sunday. Is this some thing to do with the server time syncronization? My other server are perfectly fine with same settings.

Abdullah

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Try to see if the backup can run anytime,

try to see something about image and catalog backup, if that jobs R running the other ones keep queue unless U put the image backup to run backgrounded,

maybe it can make your jobs start latter.

what is the IO status ??  13 ?/ 6? 196?

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi there,

Backup runs properly on other days except Sunday. I have tired changing the sched time but its still the same.

Now my 2nd Master server none of the policy is starting except SQL which is at 2 am in the morning.

There are no LOGS in ACTIVITY MONITOR, but logs for those server which are not pinging and are added to the policy are showing error 58 coz they r not pinging at all.

now i have upgrade the 2nd Master Server from 6.5.3 to 6.5.4 and have changed the sched from 8 pm to 8 30 pm.i wil see tomorrow. Next step would be changing the sched after 12 am if the 1st one fails.

Abby

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
frequency based or calendar based?

If frequency based, what is the frequency set to?

If they fail are you running them manually?

As far as the Status Code 58 is concerned you could start troubleshooting here:

STATUS CODE 58: Can't connect to client. Troubleshooting procedures for Status 58 errors. ...

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi there,

The sked is calendar based and the diff runs from saturday to wednesday and full from thursdays and fridays.

the sked itself doesnt start on Sunday rest of the days its perfect.now tonight i have to check whether the diff starts and the logs are shown in Activity Monitor or not. If it doesnt show i wil check the backup archeive & restore to see whether the backups are done or not? I wil update tomorrow.

thank you for the linlk about the 58 error ...but i have added that server purposely and i am aware of that fact.

Thank you again for comments & suggesstions.

Abby

Marianne
Please post output of the policy that doesn't run on Sundays:
bppllist <policy_name> -U

MOIMOI
Level 4
hi there,

the command is invalid when i type the BPLIST policy_name -u.

Abby

Will_Restore
Level 6
not bplist ( two different commands )  :)

Marianne
Also use big -U with bppllist

b.t.w. - I wasn't stuttering - there are really 2 p's and 2 l's in the command.  :)   :)

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi Marianne,

Happy New Year....n sorry for late post...every1 was enjoying :)

Some information on readers on this command
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278209.htm

The out put is this for the command posted by you:

D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bppllist ALL_FULL_1 -U
------------------------------------------------------------

Policy Name:       ALL_FULL_1

Policy Type:         MS-Windows-NT
  Active:              yes
  Effective date:      12/04/2007 09:41:47
  Backup network drvs: no
  Collect TIR info:    no
  Mult. Data Streams:  yes
  Client Encrypt:      no
  Checkpoint:          no
  Policy Priority:     0
  Max Jobs/Policy:     Unlimited
  Disaster Recovery:   0
  Collect BMR info:    no
  Residence:           caching-hcart-robot-tld-0
  Volume Pool:         Backup_Pool
  Server Group:        *ANY*
  Keyword:             (none specified)
  Data Classification:       -
  Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:    no

Granular Restore Info:  no
  HW/OS/Client:  PC            WindowsNET   Client 1
                 PC            WindowsNET   Client 2
                 PC            WindowsNET    Client 3
                 PC            WindowsNET    Client 4
                PC            Windows2003   Client 5

Include:  NEW_STREAM

{ here includes all my selected folder}

Schedule:          FULL
    Type:            Full Backup
    Maximum MPX:     10
    Synthetic:       0
    PFI Recovery:    0
    Retention Level: 3 (1 month)
    Number Copies:   1
    Fail on Error:   0
    Residence:       (specific storage unit not required)
    Volume Pool:     (same as policy volume pool)
    Server Group:    (same as specified for policy)
    Calendar sched: Enabled
      Friday, Week 1
      Friday, Week 2
      Friday, Week 3
      Friday, Week 4
      Friday, Week 5
    Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:     0
    Daily Windows:
          Friday     01:00:00  -->  Friday     23:10:00

Schedule:          DIFF
    Type:            Differential Incremental Backup
    Maximum MPX:     10
    Synthetic:       0
    PFI Recovery:    0
    Retention Level: 3 (1 month)
    Number Copies:   1
    Fail on Error:   0
    Residence:       (specific storage unit not required)
    Volume Pool:     (same as policy volume pool)
    Server Group:    (same as specified for policy)
    Calendar sched: Enabled
      Sunday, Week 1
      Monday, Week 1
      Tuesday, Week 1
      Wednesday, Week 1
      Friday, Week 1
      Saturday, Week 1
      Sunday, Week 2
      Monday, Week 2
      Tuesday, Week 2
      Wednesday, Week 2
      Friday, Week 2
      Saturday, Week 2
      Sunday, Week 3
      Monday, Week 3
      Tuesday, Week 3
      Wednesday, Week 3
      Friday, Week 3
      Saturday, Week 3
      Sunday, Week 4
      Monday, Week 4
      Tuesday, Week 4
      Wednesday, Week 4
      Friday, Week 4
      Saturday, Week 4
      Sunday, Week 5
      Monday, Week 5
      Tuesday, Week 5
      Wednesday, Week 5
      Friday, Week 5
      Saturday, Week 5
    Residence is Storage Lifecycle Policy:     0
    Daily Windows:
          Sunday     20:30:00  -->  Monday     04:10:00
          Monday     20:40:00  -->  Tuesday    04:20:00
          Tuesday    20:30:00  -->  Wednesday  04:10:00
          Wednesday  20:30:00  -->  Thursday   04:10:00
          Friday     22:00:00  -->  Saturday   04:00:00
          Saturday   20:30:00  -->  Sunday     04:10:00

Abby

Marianne
Calendar based scheduling has been known to be unreliable with windows crossing midnight. Some list members will probably disagree with me, but this has been my personal experience.

The admin guide also warns against it:

"Daily windows are taken into account, even when calendar-based schedules are used. Windows that span midnight become two separate windows for calendar schedules. After the policy is created, the initial backups may appear as though two backups have run within the same window.
If the calendar schedule indicates that today is a run day, the backup runs once during any window that is open."

This is exactly what happened in your case - the Saturday night schedule is open across midnight. As this is seen as 'two separate windows' (as per the manual), the 12:04:00 backup is considered as Sunday's backup.

For this reason I have preferred to stay with Frequency based scheduling for daily and weekly schedules and only use Calendar based schedules for backups that cannot be scheduled with Frequency based, like Monthly and Yearly.

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi Marianne,

Thanks for the update and suggesstion.

When i look at my Saurday Sked,the DIFF is starting from 8 30 pm (sat) till sunday 4 am. I have just made the skeds long but i m sure the DIFF whn it starts it run for say not more than couple of hours i.e say 10 30 pm (sat). It doesnt spill over mid night (12 am sunday).

the policies which are after 12 am mid night sunday works fine. What i am trying to understand is " IS THIS COZ OF THE EXTENDED DIFF SKED I HAVE MADE IN THE POLICY?" (i.e from 8 30 pm sat to 4 am sunday)

Is the solution for this is to make the SKEDS on saturday that should end before 12 am mid night? would this changes solve my problem even if i am using the calendar SKEDS?

ABBY

Marianne
It should be fine if your daily schedules don't cross midnight.
The backup window doesn't need to be open for the duration of the backup - it must be able to START within the open window (it is actually called a 'Start Window').

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Why you dont change a policy to Frequency and test how it runs, Freq jobs are more relaiable and much easy to manage than Calendar ones, just test it and see how it runs, just remmeber that if you run manualy a Frequency backup you impact the next run squedule.

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi Marianne,

thanks i thought so, i will change it this week to just end up before 12 midnight. As you said its START WINDOW and doesnt matter if job run long.

i will surely update u all people.

@ Omar

I guess i will also test some backups with the frequency based SKEDS n will see how will it be more reliable.

thank you all for comments n suggestions. Really appreciate it!!!!!

Abby

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi Guys,

Every thing is working fine now...the backups on Sundays are perfect.

Thank you all.

Abby

Marianne
Hi Abby
You marked your own post as solution with no indication of what the solution was? Did none of the advise offered by any of us point you in the right direction?