cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Query

elson_cj
Level 4

We are on NB 7.6.0.2

We have a physical server that is a NB media server & is the i500 tape library controller/manager.

This physical server is running an unsupported windows OS version and needs to be replaced.

We have built a new physical server to replace it and that new server is in and working as a NB media server.

is there any documentation about replacing one physical NB media server with another one that has to

be the tape robot controller. 

5 REPLIES 5

areznik
Level 5

@Marianne - I think its just a media server he is swapping out, not a master, so that should be much easier.

@elson_cj - please confirm

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Oops! Apologies for misreading the opening post! This will be a job for nbdecommission then.... See the links to documentation in this recent discussion: https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/how-i-can-correctly-decommision-media-server

Bar_JB
Level 3

Hi all,

Just to confirm on @elson_cj behalf, it's a media server that is being swapped out.

Thanks for your posts so far on this.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

nbdecommission is the recommended way.

The documentation and post that I have referenced above explains that the robot should be physically connected to the new server (zoned or directly connected) and reconfigured in NBU. 
When the media server can see the robot at OS-level, run the device config wizard and only select the robot control host and complete device config.
Run device config wizard again and select the rest of the media servers to correctly configure/update the robot control host.

PS: 
I will delete my original reply to this post as I have totally misunderstood the requirement....

Bar_JB
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Many thanks for your input so far.

I get an error trying to assign a NB media server to a UNC path to a CIFS share on DD670.

Master Server = NetBackup 7.6.0.2   Windows 2008 R2 SP1

Media servers = NetBackup 7.6.0.2   Windows 2008 R2 SP1

I have read articles on the web regarding the NB services that need domain credentials & these were already applied.

The only media server that can access the storage units successfully, is due for decommission next week (that server is also the robotic control server).

Hoping you can help.