cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Replication Director + AIR

sumitgree
Level 4

Hello,

Can we use AIR with replication director (RD) for both image and MSDP replication ?

Do i required to create Seperate SLP for that or i can use same RD SLP for AIR ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andreas_Bechter
Level 2
Employee

Hi sumitgree,

AIR can only be used on NetBackup images that are physically stored on a Media Server attached Disk Storage Unit which supports optimized duplication. Let me try to explain what I mean by that. You can use AIR to transfer a backup image which is stored on a Storage Unit in a NetBackup Image Format (gnutar) to another NetBackup Master Server - the foundational element is that this backup image is stored on a Disk Storage Unit and because we can´t afford to send a 100% full copy of the images over the wire (cloaking your bandwith and also impacting your time axis) the Storage Unit needs to support optimized duplication (this is the dedupe device that supports block based transfer of changes between two images). 

Replication Director holds a link to the snapshot. It looks like a backup image but it is a reference to the data stored in the snapshot on the filer in the native format. AIR is an Engine on the NetBackup Master/Media Server which moves the data but then also performs the import into the NetBackup catalog as well as the knowledge handling of two Master Servers owning the data now. When you perform a delta block based replication between two filers you could think of offloading the replication piece outside the AIR engine but since there are this other steps (import and management) needed as well which again deviate slightly from the classic AIR process they also need to be in place but are not today. You could think of this as a NetBackup interdomain storage array replication capability.

regards,

Andreas (Regional Product Manager Veritas Information Protection Solutions EMEA)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Andreas_Bechter
Level 2
Employee

Hi sumitgree,

AIR can only be used on NetBackup images that are physically stored on a Media Server attached Disk Storage Unit which supports optimized duplication. Let me try to explain what I mean by that. You can use AIR to transfer a backup image which is stored on a Storage Unit in a NetBackup Image Format (gnutar) to another NetBackup Master Server - the foundational element is that this backup image is stored on a Disk Storage Unit and because we can´t afford to send a 100% full copy of the images over the wire (cloaking your bandwith and also impacting your time axis) the Storage Unit needs to support optimized duplication (this is the dedupe device that supports block based transfer of changes between two images). 

Replication Director holds a link to the snapshot. It looks like a backup image but it is a reference to the data stored in the snapshot on the filer in the native format. AIR is an Engine on the NetBackup Master/Media Server which moves the data but then also performs the import into the NetBackup catalog as well as the knowledge handling of two Master Servers owning the data now. When you perform a delta block based replication between two filers you could think of offloading the replication piece outside the AIR engine but since there are this other steps (import and management) needed as well which again deviate slightly from the classic AIR process they also need to be in place but are not today. You could think of this as a NetBackup interdomain storage array replication capability.

regards,

Andreas (Regional Product Manager Veritas Information Protection Solutions EMEA)