cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Replication with DD and SLP doubts

ksurya1487
Level 4

hi

we have a netbackup setup Master/ Media server and DD990 configured with DD boost on source and DD990 on replication site.

Option we have to replicate are SLP or DD replication

i just want to know how to do restoration from replicated data if replication is configured through DD ( Netbackup doesent maintain catalog) even if i install media server in my remote site how can i do restore??

if i configure SLP replication, during replication will that send only Dedup data or entire data sent over WAN and dedup is done on Destination DD, i know if i configure replication with DD it will replicate only Unique data not all data, i have this doubt because DD does the dedup not the Netbackup.

Thanks

Surya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Using BOOST and SLP replication data from Data Domin 1 will be send directly to Data Doman 2 without a media server beein involved. That's the power of OST.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi Surya,

when you configure the backup using the DDboost you can not use the DD replication ... ddboot images can not be duplicated using the DD native replication.. 

so the only option that you have is using the SLP.

when you configure the SLP between the DD only first duplication sends the all data..then after only unique data will travel over the WAN. 

so you are safe to impliment it..

in DD you can enable low bandwith optimization for better performance when you are doing the duplication over the WAN

ksurya1487
Level 4

Thanks for your reply am clear now

if i want to duplicate my data to tape on replication DD, how should i create SLP on my source NBU master and Destination NBU server

RamNagalla

SLP should be below, the should be in below mannor in SLP... 

backup    ---local DD STU

duplication --->  Remote DD STU

Duplication ------ Remote Tape  STU

Should not be like this

backup    ---local DD STU

duplication --->  Remote DD STU

Duplication ------ Remote Tape  STU

ksurya1487
Level 4

Nagalla,

Thanks,

then we need to Zone the remote tape librart to my Source Master server??? and create STU for those tape drives???

so in remote if i have Replication DD and tape library , with SLP i can replicate to destination and move to tapes.

is my understanding correct?

RamNagalla

no,you does not need to zone the remote tape library to source master server.. 

you need to setup a media server in remote site and do the tape library zoning to the remote media server..

once the data has been replicated to the remote DD, it will locally duplicate the data from remote DD to remote Tape..by using the SLP.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Using BOOST and SLP replication data from Data Domin 1 will be send directly to Data Doman 2 without a media server beein involved. That's the power of OST.

Jim-90
Level 6

If you are going to add tape as an additional copy, a couple of things to consider:

With SLP the copy to tape will be made after the sucessful completion of the primary backup to a DD box.  That means re-hydrating all the deduped image(s) from primary DD to tape.  One method reducing the DD workload would be to create a duplicate to tape at backup time (in the  Policy->Schedule->Destination->Multiple Copies). This may slow down the initial backup a bit, the other negative is probably the location of the primary is no longer automated as it would happen in a SLP backup.  From memory ..may require a Vault license  

If you have initial backups going to both DD and tapes in an evening backup period the last thing you want is primary backups being held up by data replication using your tape resources.  You can always replicate data in the off-peak period using Vault. This has the same gotcha for managing the primary copy as duplicating via the Schedule-> Multiple Copies.