cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Restores

NetbackupFan
Not applicable

I am lookimg at automating netbackup restores at user level .. Is there any third party tool which can simplify this  ?

example - user enters

server name

date of restore

path of data

restore path

and upon interactive input ..should be able to restore without netbackup administrator help

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

You could write a shell script (if customers system is UNIX based) and that may work.

Otherwise you could give your user/s access to the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI, but this gives them access to restore from all systems.

Normally you would restrict restores only to administrators.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Or is it all disk-based?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I cannot see this being automated unless you are a very accomplished script writer.

Get your users to start using bprestore command.

Using bprestore from cmd (or script) to alternate folder requires setup of <RenameFile>. If more than one folder needs to be restored, <RestoreFileList> text file will also be needed. See http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH21196

Another thought:

Why not just teach them to use the GUI? Client-side GUI will be easiest.
See NBU Backup, Archive, and Restore Getting Started Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3642

watsons
Level 6

Interactive scripts for users? That would be an intensive task to do from my opinion, not to mention keeping track of the request logs.

My suggestion: you can setup security for your Netbackup environment, either by NBAC or Java console auth.conf. This would allow you to create a "shared" user (or even more users) who can only access the GUI to perform restore-only task.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Netbackupfan,

You need to ask yourself the question. Do you want users to be able to restore from any client backup to any system? This poses possible security conflicts.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Here is a basic interactive restore script as requested.

At the moment, this does NOT cope with alternate location restores - I'll add this when I get time.

It does not really do any checking - for example, is the master server name entered valid etc ...  This is not really essential for basic functionality, I might add this in if I get time.

Run it like this ..  /tmp/filelist contains the list of files to restore in format :

/path/to/file1

/path/to/file2

Run it like this ...

./restore2.sh 04/16/2012

Tmp restore directory /tmp/sym/restore already exists
Please enter value for MASTER
womble
Please enter value for SOURCE
womble
Please enter value for DESTINATION
womble
Please enter value for FILELIST
/tmp/filelist

Here is the script ...

#!/usr/bin/ksh

#Define a few variables ...

DIR=/tmp/sym/restore   #DIR used for 'tmp' files
LOG=$DIR/restore_log.txt
FILELIST=$DIR/FILELIST
MASTER=$DIR/MASTER
SOURCE=$DIR/SOURCE
DESTINATION=$DIR/DESTINATION
STARTDATE=$1

#Create directory

create_dir () {
        if [[ -d $DIR ]]
                then
                echo "Tmp restore directory $DIR already exists"
        else
                mkdir $DIR
                echo "Created directory $DIR"
        fi
}

collect_values () {

for i in MASTER SOURCE DESTINATION FILELIST
 do
  echo "Please enter value for $i"
  read VALUE
  echo $VALUE >$DIR/$i
 done
}

run_restore () {

bprestore -s $STARTDATE -S $(cat $MASTER) -C $(cat $SOURCE) -D $(cat $DESTINATION) -L $LOG  -f $(cat $FILELIST)
}

#Main script

create_dir
collect_values
run_restore