cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Restoring data to SAN attached to Master Server

SteveJD
Level 3

I have a standalone Windows server with an HP MSA SAN attached via iSCSI, the environment includes a TLD.

Master/Media Server is Netbackup 6.0 MP4: Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise (32bit)

I recently attached the SAN to the Netbackup server in order to use it as a restoration/storage repository. In Windows Disk Manager I have defined 3 paritions, 18TB each, and they are accessible in Explorer.

I have a bunch of tapes that I'd like to restore onto the SAN, and I assumed that I could simply choose the files I want, and restore them to a drive located on the SAN, E:\.

When attempting restoration, the tape loads and begins reading, then after about 2mins there's an error. bpbrm(pid=4404) listen for client protocol error - couldn't accept from data socket. Cannot connect on socket(25)

Even though the SAN is attached to the Master server via iSCSI, do I need to install a client for this to work? I thought a client was only required if using Fibre Channel connecting to something like a VMware environment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not possible. 

SQL agent backup does a backup of db structure and contents of db, not a file-level backup.

You need MS-SQL to recreate the db structures, after which content is restored into the db's. 

Only a cold file-level MS-Windows backup of mdf and ldf files can be used to perform file-level restore.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hey

What is the destination client for this restore? Is it master/media server? Could you please post full restore log? Is there correctly set policy type ? Was the source one of the same type when this backup was performed...

If restores is pointing to master/media server - the client software should be already there... Not sure why it can't connect... Is there any firewall in place? If its pointing to other client which does not exist I am not surprised...

Hiya...

The destination client is the Master/Media server, it's the only system I'm using for this project. It's a single standalone server with a vanilla installtion of Netbackup, essentially there are no policies defined.

This system was built purely to enable the restoration of old backup tapes that were initially duplicated from LTO2 to LTO6 tapes. Now I have everything on LTO6, I'm in the process of restoring the data from those tapes. They are all imported and I can see everything I need.

I have previously been able to perform restores, however that was to a Centos server connected on the same network.

I've checked the firewall on the local server, which is off, and the firewall within Netbackup looks fine.

Marianne

@SteveJD 

From your description, the restore should work. 

We will need to dig into logs to see where the issue is. 

Firstly, check that log folders exist under <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\logs:
bprd (restart NBU after creating this folder)
bpbrm
bptm
tar

Retry the restore. 
After the failure, please copy log files in above folders to .txt files (bprd.txt, bpbrm.txt, etc)

Copy the text in Job Details and upload the .txt files. 

BPBRM Log

BPRD Log

BPTM Log

There was no log present in the tar folder.

tocals
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi, This is a SQL or file system restore?

Regards

Marianne

@SteveJD 

It looks like you are trying to restore a SQL backup:

logparams: -restore -mpx_restore -S netbackup-arc1 -mt 2 -to 0 -mud 180 -mediasvr netbackup-arc1 -masterversion 600000 -brmchild 0 0 0 0 0 START RESTORE -k 1 -c netbackup-arc1 -hostname netbackup-arc1 -rclnt netbackup-arc1 -rclnthostname netbackup-arc1 -browse_clnt cn3rapp030 -ru root -firstblk 0 -cl z-FINAL-APP030_SQL -bt 1270817838 -st 2 -secure 1 -b cn3rapp030_1270817838 -cn 2 -rst 1596810392 -ct 15 .......

-ct 15  = MS-SQL

You need SQL installed, up and running and start the restore from the NBU for SQL GUI. 
If memory serves me right, you should have a documentation folder as part of NBU installation. 
Look for NBU for MS-SQL Admin Guide. Restore procedure is covered there. 

I was hoping to recover just the SQL MDF and LDF files. I thought they could be retrieved by simply restoring onto a file server, and then I was going to use a script to extract the data.

Marianne

Not possible. 

SQL agent backup does a backup of db structure and contents of db, not a file-level backup.

You need MS-SQL to recreate the db structures, after which content is restored into the db's. 

Only a cold file-level MS-Windows backup of mdf and ldf files can be used to perform file-level restore.