cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup SAP support for oracle DB

swati99
Level 3

All,

We've to backup SAP DB (on Oracle DB 9i) , but sap version is 4.6B . From DB compatibility guide for SAP Oracle, I dont see entry for 4.6 B version .Means Netbackup dont support backup for that SAP version ?Please clarify

OS-win2003 .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Netbackup do support SAP !!

Take a look on this web page :

https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/6000/000006088/en_US/nbu_76_db_scl.html?__gda__=1458685177_5bf5c3682853c2236927afd2cb5ad9c7#7.0_-_7.6.x_database_and_application_agent_software_compatibility_list_updates_

It say : The "Version" on SAP Oracle represents the version of the SAP Kernel BR*Tools. BR*Tools version 6.40, patch level 36 or greater, is required for SAP Snapshot backups through RMAN proxy.

There is both a SAP and Oracle section in the compatibility matrix - for SAP, the Oracle section doesn't apply.

Make sure the br*tools associated libraries and kernel version matches in SAP !!!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What version of Netbackup are you on ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Netbackup do support SAP !!

Take a look on this web page :

https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/6000/000006088/en_US/nbu_76_db_scl.html?__gda__=1458685177_5bf5c3682853c2236927afd2cb5ad9c7#7.0_-_7.6.x_database_and_application_agent_software_compatibility_list_updates_

It say : The "Version" on SAP Oracle represents the version of the SAP Kernel BR*Tools. BR*Tools version 6.40, patch level 36 or greater, is required for SAP Snapshot backups through RMAN proxy.

There is both a SAP and Oracle section in the compatibility matrix - for SAP, the Oracle section doesn't apply.

Make sure the br*tools associated libraries and kernel version matches in SAP !!!

swati99
Level 3

My mistake!!!

We're looking for Netbackup 7.6 version . so we will consider only brtools version(we're on 6.40 version,patch 50) for SAP Db backups ? No need to check on SAP and Oracle DB versions ?

Thanks

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

it looks there will be a compatibility problem for your environment - you use very "legacy" versions of both OS and SAP.

Sometimes older versions of an OS/APP can be supported by older NetBackup clients running against newer NetBackup servers. But with 7.6 NetBackup server, you must use 7.0 clients at least, and it looks no 7.x clients are supporting your SAP version.

Consider one of:

- upgrade SAP environment to a supported version, so at least 6.x

- use NetBackup 6.x domain (but it is not supported for > 3y)

- use some export/dump native tools (if any)  to create a local file-level backup, which you can back up by Netbackup (you can use 7.6 as the last version supporting W2003 clients) as a simple file

Regards

Michal

swati99
Level 3

Hi Michal,

But our brtools version is 6.40 ,patch 50 . As per DB compatibility matrix , I see version 6 is listed as support and can work starting with nbu 7.0 version ,So i think we can use 7.6 client also ..

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You may need to open a support case with Veritas.

I don't see Oracle versions mentioned when used with SAP ( and SAP is what counts). 

using Br*tools works in two ways:

• The classic "alter being backup/ end backup"
  • RMAN proxy

What type do you plan to use ?

swati99
Level 3

Nicolai,

Sure.Then if we're on brtools 6.40 version ,nbu 7.6 can backup SAP DB ..correct ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

It should be able to backup - yes.

But if its support is a open question since the compatibility matrix is not clear enough - please ask veritas support for conformation.

https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/6000/000006088/en_US/nbu_76_db_scl.html?__gda__=1458724021_890021e5c37a22d8fa2f9b4231b18770#database_agents-sap_oracle

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What OS does the SAP system run on ?

You mentioned 2003 in the opening post. Getting a SAP backup to work require a Netbackup agent - if the OS isn't supported by a file sysem agent you won't get database backup to work.

swati99
Level 3

we have checked with veritas support .

win 2003 SP2 , nbu 7.6 should support and they said we can backup even SAP DB (4.6B) as brtools version is 6.40 .And is compatible.

We may not go for snapshot client option as database size is around 1.5TB , Thinking to go with classic way to do full DB backup , Main requirement is to restore DB to another server . Can we initiate restore from GUI ,I see only brtools option but not from NBU GUI in guide

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

I recommend you to open a new thread for this question. Original question has been answered.

Regards

Michal