cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup SQL servers - QOS?

ItsDaveTime
Not applicable

We currently are backing up our sql servers using Netbackup, however netbackup is utilizing a ton of bandwidth to perform the backups.  We have a project in place to rectify this at the server level, however in the interim, is there any way to limit the amount of bandwidth utilized by Netbackup when connecting to SQL Server?

I've read some tech notes on using a LIMIT_BANDWIDTH setting, however it stated it wouldn't apply for SQL backups.  Is there any setting, whether in the backup batch file, client, etc. which would throttle the bandwidth utilized during backups of SQL server?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

All I can think of is to use another NIC in the client purely for backups - and hard set the NIC in the client and the port at the LAN switch both to 100Mb/s fdx (full duplex) - and this would limit the backup traffic to around 12 MB/s maximum.

View solution in original post

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Looking at NetBackup for SQL performance factors in the SQL guide I am thinking that playing with

MAXTRANSFERSIZE

BLOCKSIZE

NUMBER OF BUFFERS PER STRIPE (NUMBUF)

STRIPES

Could give you a lower bandwith.

EDIT:

Compression on the SQL side might help, but be aware then the dedup factor very bad if running to a dedup storage unit.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

All I can think of is to use another NIC in the client purely for backups - and hard set the NIC in the client and the port at the LAN switch both to 100Mb/s fdx (full duplex) - and this would limit the backup traffic to around 12 MB/s maximum.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Looking at NetBackup for SQL performance factors in the SQL guide I am thinking that playing with

MAXTRANSFERSIZE

BLOCKSIZE

NUMBER OF BUFFERS PER STRIPE (NUMBUF)

STRIPES

Could give you a lower bandwith.

EDIT:

Compression on the SQL side might help, but be aware then the dedup factor very bad if running to a dedup storage unit.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue