cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup SQL with differential backups and transaction logs restore procedure

Adie84
Level 3

Hi All,

I am currently backing up an SQL server (with a single database split into several filegroups) using a weekly full, daily differentials and daily transaction log backups.

If I needed to, what would be the procedure to restore the database in question to a point in time?

I had at first thought I would need to restore the full, then the differential and then the transaction logs (selecting "To point in time"). However, whilst looking in the Restore GUI I see that when I select the desired transaction log image, the fulls for each filegroup are also selected (but not the differential images).

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same process you've discovered applies to diffs. Select the diff, it would then select the full too. Restore that but make sure to set it so its NOT RECOVERED. You can then apply transaction logs afterwards.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst

Same process you've discovered applies to diffs. Select the diff, it would then select the full too. Restore that but make sure to set it so its NOT RECOVERED. You can then apply transaction logs afterwards.

Adie84
Level 3

Hi Riaan,

OK thanks, but how would I apply the transaction logs afterwards?

The reason I ask is that when I select the most recent transaction log for restore it also automatically selects a full image for each of the filegroups on that server, surely this process would overwrite the database again from scratch thus not applying the diff, as I can only select one or the other (the diff OR the transaction logs)?

RiaanBadenhorst

from the guide

Restoring a SQL transaction log image without staging a full recovery

This topic describes how to restore a transaction log image without staging a full recovery.

To restore a transaction log without staging a full recovery

1. 1  Browse for the backup images you want to restore.

2. 2  In the Restore Microsoft SQL Server Objects dialog box, expand the database instance.

1. 3  Select the transaction log image that you want to restore.

If a set of images exists that include the transaction log image and that are sufficient for staging a full database recovery, Stage full recovery is enabled. The properties of the transaction log include a Recovery Set tab.

2. 4  Select Restore only the transaction log that you selected.

3. 5  Click Restore.

To view the progress of the restore, select File > View status.