cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup - Scheduled Backups Not Starting

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Just a quick question relating to manual backups versus scheduled backups.

I have a number of policies which are scheduled to run (on a calendar basis) each day.  I ran a manual backup of these policies yesterday which ran successfully, but then the scheduled backups did not start last night !

I was under the impression that a manual backup did not affect the scheduled attempts - so even though the manual backup ran the scheduled backup should still have started as per schedule.  Is this the case ?

Thanks,

AJ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As far as Daily backups are concerned, my experience has been that a manual backup indeed affects the scheduled attempts. Calendar and Frequency.

Look at Figure 15-16 Schedule selection overview in NBU Admin Guide I:

Find last backup data -> For calendar based schedules, add days until next run day -> ....

When any of the following events occurs, NetBackup recalculates which schedule
to run next in a policy:
■ A backup job finishes.
■ ....

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Solution4all
Level 4

Hi,

It depends. If backup schedule type is frequency based and you have ran manual backup scheduled backup will not run.

If schedule type is calendar based scheduled backup will run even after running manual backup.

If your query is answered please mark as solution

thanks,

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Manual backups do have an effect on scheduled backups - but i did think that it was only frequency based ones that were affected rather than calendar based ones

So for frequency based a manual backup counts towards the frequency of the backup.

What does have an effect however is backup failures, so if you did some manual backups as a result of failures then perhaps the failure window had not expired in time for your backups to run.

On the Master server host properties - Global Attributes tab is the Scheduled backup attempts section

So if this is 2 tries in 12 hours and a client has failed twice it will not be valid for any schedules for 12 hours after the last failure

Hope this helps

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Solution4all - I am running Calender based as opposed to frequency based and it didn't run as expected - so that theory doesn't stand up.

Mark - failures could be a factor here.  I have not run any manual backups (or scheduled for that matter) on these three policies since yesterday afternoon, so will leave it well alone and see if it runs as expected tonight.  Watch this space.......

AJ

Marianne
Level 6

As far as Daily backups are concerned, my experience has been that a manual backup indeed affects the scheduled attempts. Calendar and Frequency.

Look at Figure 15-16 Schedule selection overview in NBU Admin Guide I:

Find last backup data -> For calendar based schedules, add days until next run day -> ....

When any of the following events occurs, NetBackup recalculates which schedule
to run next in a policy:
■ A backup job finishes.
■ ....

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks to you all for the input - especially Marianne for the pointer to the info in the Windows Admin Guide I.

I am assuming (hoping) that the schedules run as planned this evening, and will confirm in the morning and mark up the solution.

AJ.

Marianne
Level 6

Easiest way to check is with:
nbpemreq -predict_all -date <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS> [-policy_filter <policy>]

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

the directory path to this command is <install_path>\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\

nbpemreq -predict_all -date mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS

This is Helps determine when a policy is to be run. The displayed information is based on the current time and a future date. Time is indicated by mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS 

This option also helps determine why a policy has not run. The difference between the options is the output format and the amount of data presented.It shows the backups that are eligible to run, but it does not indicate which

jobs are to run at a specific time. It checks for an open window for the backup,but does not reflect any exclude dates that might be set for the schedule.

For example

nbpemreq -predict -date 09/23/2010 12:00:00
Predicted work assuming no job run between now and Thu Sep 23 12:00:00 2010

to include dates/times

# nbpemreq -due -date 09/23/2010 12:00:00

-due

Provides data about the clients or policies that are scheduled to run by the time specified. The data that is displayed is based on the current time and afuture date. Time is indicated bymm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS

Then run the following command:

nbpemreq –updatepolicies

please restart the netbackup services

Venkatesh_K
Level 5

use the command

nbpemreq -predict_all -date <mm/dd/yyyy HH:MM:SS> [-policy_filter <policy>]

as suggested by marine, u can check if job is due or not using above command.

you dont have to wait till teh next schedule, (or staring at NB console to see if jobs come in or not wink )

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Jobs did start last night so it must have been as identified - the manual backups did affect the scheduling.  Many thanks for the nbpemreq info.

AJ