cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Scripting DFSR service to stop during flat file backup of DFS

Steve_Stewart
Not applicable

Using NBU 7.5.0.6 on Windows 2008R2, backing up a Windows 2008 Storage Server with DFSR running

I need to stop my DFSR service to get a flat fiel backup of the DFS data, stopping the service when the backup starts and return it to service once all child jobs have completed.

Following the Symantec TECH126994 using bpstart_notify.bat to net stop dfsr and bpend_notify to net start dfsr on the client being backed up, this however stops and starts the DFSR service for every child job that runs.

Currently the solution I've put in place is to allow the bpstart_notify.bat to stop the service and manually restart reume it once the job has completed, obviously not the ideal solution.

Reading some symantec articles they refer to creating customized scripts using the STREAM_NUMBER, STREAM_COUNT and STREAM_PID on the master media server but provide no examples on how to do this - any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AsherA
Not applicable
Partner Employee

Hey Steve,

I was forced to stop dfs and backup my dfs data as flat files as well.  Our DFS environment just got to big, over 3TB and backing it up via Shadow copy was taking 2 days plus we couldn't do daily incrementals.  You also need to create a registry key called "Additional Not Authorized Writers" with value "{2707761b-2324-473d-88eb-eb007a359533}":

HKLM->Software->Veritas->Netbackup->BEDS->Engine->Shadow Copy Components->Additional Not Authorized Writers->DFSR value {2707761b-2324-473d-88eb-eb007a359533}

Here is how i have setup my bpstart_notify.bat/bpend_notify with multiple data streams:

bpstart_notify:

@echo %STREAM_NUMBER% > D:\TEMP\bpstart.%1.%2.%3.%STREAM_NUMBER%.lck

if %STREAM_NUMBER% EQU 1 GOTO STOP_DFS

:STOP_DFS

@echo BACKUP STARTING on %1 using policy %2 with schedule %3, bpres = %6 >> bin\BP_RES.txt

net stop DFSR

@echo "finished stopping dfs and dfsr service BEFORE backup" >> %6

BPEND_NOTIFY:

if exist D:\TEMP\bpstart.%1.%2.%3.%STREAM_NUMBER%.lck (del D:\TEMP\bpstart.%1.%2.%3.%STREAM_NUMBER%.lck)

@REM Check if this is the last stream so we can start DFS

if exist D:\TEMP\bpstart.%1.%2.%3.*.lck (goto :EOF) else (goto :START_DFS)

:START_DFS

echo "Last Backup STREAM finished-Starting DFSR" >> %6

net start DFSR

echo "finished starting dfs and dfsr service after backup" >> %6

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure why you have chosen this route?

As per TN http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO65638 

Although it is possible to backup Microsoft DFSR data as ‘flat files’ with the replication engine services stopped, this is not recommended by Symantec or Microsoft. Stopping replication for extended periods during a backup may cause USN Journal wrap. DFSR should recover from the issue but in large deployments, very long delays may occur before replication synchronizes and normal replication is resumed.

Current releases of NetBackup are able to backup DFSR data while the replication engine is active by using the VSS DFSR Writer API. During the backup, NetBackup call VSS to create a snapshot for the backup. As part of the DFSR snapshot process, VSS also calls for a pause in DFSR replication allowing the DFSR engine to remain running but not replicating during the backup. All USN Journal updates are read by the DFSR engine during the backup period so no journal wrap issues occur. Once the backup is complete, NetBackup calls VSS to remove the snapshot and VSS will then call DFSR to resume normal replication.

AsherA
Not applicable
Partner Employee

Hey Steve,

I was forced to stop dfs and backup my dfs data as flat files as well.  Our DFS environment just got to big, over 3TB and backing it up via Shadow copy was taking 2 days plus we couldn't do daily incrementals.  You also need to create a registry key called "Additional Not Authorized Writers" with value "{2707761b-2324-473d-88eb-eb007a359533}":

HKLM->Software->Veritas->Netbackup->BEDS->Engine->Shadow Copy Components->Additional Not Authorized Writers->DFSR value {2707761b-2324-473d-88eb-eb007a359533}

Here is how i have setup my bpstart_notify.bat/bpend_notify with multiple data streams:

bpstart_notify:

@echo %STREAM_NUMBER% > D:\TEMP\bpstart.%1.%2.%3.%STREAM_NUMBER%.lck

if %STREAM_NUMBER% EQU 1 GOTO STOP_DFS

:STOP_DFS

@echo BACKUP STARTING on %1 using policy %2 with schedule %3, bpres = %6 >> bin\BP_RES.txt

net stop DFSR

@echo "finished stopping dfs and dfsr service BEFORE backup" >> %6

BPEND_NOTIFY:

if exist D:\TEMP\bpstart.%1.%2.%3.%STREAM_NUMBER%.lck (del D:\TEMP\bpstart.%1.%2.%3.%STREAM_NUMBER%.lck)

@REM Check if this is the last stream so we can start DFS

if exist D:\TEMP\bpstart.%1.%2.%3.*.lck (goto :EOF) else (goto :START_DFS)

:START_DFS

echo "Last Backup STREAM finished-Starting DFSR" >> %6

net start DFSR

echo "finished starting dfs and dfsr service after backup" >> %6