cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Server communication to VMware vCenter Server Appliance ( vcsa)

AlexeyD
Level 3

How to configure Netbackup Server communication to VMware vCenter Server Appliance ( vcsa)?

When vCenter server works on Windows OS, I should install Netbackup client for Windows. After that following manual configuge communication. 

If I use vcsa I couldn't install Netbackup client, and couldn't establish connection.

Is any idea how to solve it?

11 REPLIES 11

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

you dont need to install any NetBackup component into vCenter server, unless you want to backup its own files from inside. But for VM machines backups, NetBackup servers communicates directly with vCenter services.

Regards

Michal

Hello Michal.

Thank you for quick answer.

I have installed vmware vcsa 6.7.0.13000 with external psc.

All host names could be resolved, ping works between master server and vcenter server in both directions. There are to firewalls.

I'm trying to Add... "VMware Access Hosts" in master server properties and I see an error:

"Invalid Entry

Unable to determine NetBackup  version for the specified vmware access host. Add it anyway?. Yes/No"

In this case I guess that any Netbackup software should be installed on vcenter server isn't it?

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Did you check the support matrix for VMWARE available in here ?NBU 8.1 onwards only is supported with 6.7 - what is your NBU version?

Netbackup server version 8.1.2

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Can you try to do it from CLI

(Add Virtual Machine Credentials)
tpconfig -add -virtual_machine <virtual machine name> -vm_user_id <user ID>
-vm_type <virtual machine type> -requiredport <IP port number>
[-password <password> [-key <encryption key>]]

<virtual machine type> can be one of the following:
"1", for VMware Virtual Center Servers
"2", for VMware ESX Servers
"3", for VMware Converter Servers

Then check it with this

(Display Virtual Machine Credentials)
tpconfig -dvirtualmachines

Marianne

@AlexeyD

I think you are misunderstanding what a 'VMware Access Host' or 'VMware Backup Host' is.

You may want to read up in NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide about terminology. 
There are also diagrams that explain each of the components and data flow.

The Access/Backup host is where the NBU client is installed that will have access/credentials to vCenter/ESX.
Ideally you want it to be a NetBackup Media Server for the most direct route between the data and the media server storage. 

it works, I can add vcenter. It is now in list of Virtual Machine Servers in GUI. If I open it in GUI I see error message "There is no VMware backup host configured for which you can add/modify credentials. You need to first add VMwarebackup host using NetBackup Host Properties and then add/modify VMware credentials for that host"

If I trying to create a police I can Browse for VMs in vCenter and select VM for backup. But in VMware backup host I can set only Backup Media Server, and when I start backup I get error 49 Error bpbrm (pid=2327) client (hostname of master server) didn't start.

@quebek wrote:

Can you try to do it from CLI

quebek
   VIP    Certified

So your NBU is on 812, what is OS where it is running? I have NBU master/media server running on linux, added just credentials to vSphere server and no backup host was added and this is working. Not sure maybe your master/media server is no supported or something. Do you have any media servers?

Master server 812, OS Solaris 11.3

Only Master with no media servers.

Marianne

As per my previous post - you ideally want to config your Media Server as the VMware Backup Host  (if the OS is supported). 

Windows and Linux (RHEL and SUSE) media servers are supported. 
*** EDIT ***
Solaris is NOT supported. 
You will need a Windows or Linux NBU client as backup host.

PS:
The Client name in the VMware policy cannot be hostname of master server - this is where a VM hostname is specified/selected.
Maybe you want to take an extra hour or two to browse through the manual for a better understanding of the terminology / components / requirements / steps ?  

@Marianne

As per my previous post - you ideally want to config your Media Server as the VMware Backup Host  (if the OS is supported). 

You are right. I have installed Media Server on Windows 2016 virtual host. Now it is VMware backup host, also sutable for credential validation. My main mistake was I have used vCenter on Windows Server, and client on Windows Server was also used as VMware backup host. 

Thank you, very much for advise.