Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Services not Starting up

Kasra_Hashemi
Level 5

services error.PNG

Dear all Readers ,

It is about two days that Netback critical services such as : 1-Enterprise Media Manager 2-Relational database manager are starting . in these two days I've tried every solutions that I could Find in Vox froums and discussions pages . such as reading logs , trying to stop and start sevices . would you please instruct me ?

meanwhile Im getting this line in server.log file ( installedpath\netbackupDB\Log\server.log)

Error: Cannot open transaction log file -- Can't use log file "NBDB.log" since the database file has been used more recently

E. 12/02 10:15:11. Cannot open transaction log file -- Can't use log file "NBDB.log" since the database file has been used more recently
I. 12/02 10:15:11. Database server shutdown due to startup error
I. 12/02 10:15:13. Starting checkpoint of "NBAZDB" (NBAZDB.db) at Sat Dec 02 2017 10:15
I. 12/02 10:15:13. Finished checkpoint of "NBAZDB" (NBAZDB.db) at Sat Dec 02 2017 10:15
I. 12/02 10:15:13. Database server stopped at Sat Dec 02 2017 10:15

Netdigest
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It doesn;t look very happy with the transaction log.  ersonally I would force it to create a new one.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000082742

The line 6 in the TN looks to have a typo

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\win64>dbsrv11 "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\NBDB.db" -f

.. should be 

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\win64\dbsrv11 -f "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\NBDB.db"

... also, depending on the version on NBU, the command will not be dbsrv11, but dbsrv(some other number)

The lastest versions of NBU are dbsrv16.  Just use whatever is in the dir.

Do the same for the BMR option, also in step 6.

Most important, before starting, stop all NBU services and copy the files in ...NetBackupDB\data somewhere safe.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It doesn;t look very happy with the transaction log.  ersonally I would force it to create a new one.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000082742

The line 6 in the TN looks to have a typo

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\win64>dbsrv11 "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\NBDB.db" -f

.. should be 

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\win64\dbsrv11 -f "C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\NBDB.db"

... also, depending on the version on NBU, the command will not be dbsrv11, but dbsrv(some other number)

The lastest versions of NBU are dbsrv16.  Just use whatever is in the dir.

Do the same for the BMR option, also in step 6.

Most important, before starting, stop all NBU services and copy the files in ...NetBackupDB\data somewhere safe.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Kasra_Hashemi

Can you confirm that you are running regular Catalog backups?
When last did a successful Catalog backup run?

Hopefully you have by now followed the steps suggested by @mph999 and you have NBU up and running again?

Mike_Gavrilov

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

EMM and DBM won't start if your license key expires.

Marianne

I wonder if @Kasra_Hashemi managed to find a solution?

It seems that he/she posted here on Saturday and then never came back to look for replies. 

I set this services in "delayed start"

Thank you for Commment , But the keys are not expired yet.

Netdigest

Hi Marianne ,

I am so Sorry for this delay , you are absolutely right , It is my fault that I forgot to mark one of these replies as an accepted solution .

but at the end I have to say that I could fix this issue with " Rebulilding the vxdbms.conf file " plus " remove and re create NBDB transaction log file " , and as all of you know they have their own procedures .

and I'm posting the URL that helped me :

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH71702

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100021566.html

Netdigest

Hi '

No doing that didn't help me.at least in my issue this is not the solution . cause the Database and transaction log file have issue.

thanks for your comment.

Netdigest

Marianne

PLEASE schedule NBU upgrade as a matter of urgency.

NBU 7.6.x does not have any support anymore from Veritas should anything more serious happen...

Thanks @Marianne , I Will .

I am installing New Netbackup 8.0 on a new Physical Server( I could not restore the old server catalog to the new one.) . I will use the old server , only for restore .

The reason that Im planning for new server is the operating systemis not working properly and I dont want to put my Oracle RMAN backups on risk  anymore.

Netdigest

Marianne

Good plan.

You could also upgrade existing server to 8.0 (I did the same 2 days ago on a W2008 server with 7.5).
You can then use 8.0 Catalog backup and recovery to migrate to a new server.

Thank you @Marianne

would you please give me an URL which describes the migration procedures , step by step. It would be the best solution if could export existing catalog and restore to the new server .

I would appreciate your help

Thank you very much

Netdigest

Marianne

Here you go:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh 
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000041076