Good Morning All,
I have Netbackup 6.5.4 server (windows server 2003 standard OS) and all clients (one client is windows server 2003 standard another is 2008) are at the same level. A couople of weeks ago 2 of the 35 servers this machine backs up starting having this error.
Error bpbrm(pid=5736) cannot create data socket, The operation completed successfully. (0)
The job then terminates with a status 21. We have personal that run the backups for me so I cannot verify if the backups will work when retrying them right after they fail. In the morning the backups will start fine.
I have tried running this
bpgetconfig -g myclient
and I get the correct output.
I have also tried this.
bptestbpcd -client <client_name>
and I get the correct output
With Status 21 you need logs - nothing obvious about this error....
C:\>bperror -S 21 -r
socket open failed
A socket was not opened.
Do the following, as appropriate:
* Check the NetBackup Problems report for clues on where and why the failure occurred. If you cannot determine the cause from the Problems report, create debug log directories for the processes that returned this status code. Then, retry the operation and check the resulting debug logs.
* The following information applies only to Sun Solaris:
Verify that all operating system patches are installed.
See the Operating Notes section of the NetBackup Release Notes.
* The following information applies only to Windows systems:
Verify that the recommended service packs are installed.
You might want to also monitor master server system resources during peak backup load.
My hint for you would be to only create the log directories you need to trouble shoot the problem. Rais logging level up to get more details if needed. Depending on the log directory you may have to stop and restart netbackup for logging to take effect. Logging levels can be changed through host properties of the GUI or you can put entires in the bp.conf file.
BPBRM_VERBOSE = 6
I have enabled logging level 3 on my master service for bpbrm. On the client side I have enabled logging of level 3. I created the folder structure as well. I will post when I get the error again. If I missed something please let me know.