cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Socket Error

mrtba
Level 4

Good Morning All,

I have Netbackup 6.5.4 server (windows server 2003 standard OS) and all clients (one client is windows server 2003 standard another is 2008) are at the same level.  A couople of weeks ago 2 of the 35 servers this machine backs up starting having this error.

Error bpbrm(pid=5736) cannot create data socket, The operation completed successfully.  (0)  

The job then terminates with a status 21.  We have personal that run the backups for me so I cannot verify if the backups will work when retrying them right after they fail.  In the morning the backups will start fine. 

I have tried running this

bpgetconfig -g myclient

and I get the correct output.

I have also tried this.

bptestbpcd -client <client_name>

and I get the correct output

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Start troubleshooting by tracing PID 5736 (or whatever bpbrm PID is reported in job details) through the bpbrm log on the media server.

Also have a look at the client's bpbkar log around the same time period.

mrtba
Level 4

Thanks,

I will look at turning on logging.  It looks like I have to create some folders and turn on logging from the master server.  Any hints would be most helpfull. 

Marianne
Level 6

With Status 21 you need logs - nothing obvious about this error....

C:\>bperror -S 21 -r
socket open failed
A socket was not opened.

Do the following, as appropriate:
* Check the NetBackup Problems report for clues on where and why the failure occurred. If you cannot determine the cause from the Problems report, create debug log directories for the processes that returned this status code. Then, retry the operation and check the resulting debug logs.
* The following information applies only to Sun Solaris:
Verify that all operating system patches are installed.
See the Operating Notes section of the NetBackup Release Notes.
* The following information applies only to Windows systems:
Verify that the recommended service packs are installed.

You might want to also monitor master server system resources during peak backup load.

Daryl_Kinnaird
Level 4

My hint for you would be to only create the log directories you need to trouble shoot the problem. Rais logging level up to get more details if needed.  Depending on the log directory  you may have to stop and restart netbackup for logging to take effect.  Logging levels can be changed through host properties of the GUI or you can put entires in the bp.conf file.

BPBRM_VERBOSE = 6  

Marianne
Level 6

Highest possible logging for NBU 6.5 is level 5. I do not recommend starting with level 5 logging (only when requested by Tech Support) - something between 1 and 3 should give good enough indication.

bpbrm and bpbkar logs do not need restart of services.

Daryl_Kinnaird
Level 4

sorry if there was confusion on the logging level of 6, must have been thinking unified logging level.

mrtba
Level 4

I have enabled logging level 3 on my master service for bpbrm.  On the client side I have enabled logging of level 3.  I created the folder structure as well.  I will post when I get the error again.  If I missed something please let me know.

Marianne
Level 6

Hopefully bpbrm and bpbkar will point us in the right direction...