cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Starter Pack: Expansion options

Sparktacus
Level 3

Morning All

If I have licensed a netbackup Starter pack (Server and 5 Clients), can I then purchase additional clients to expand the environment?

Similarly, if i were to wrap this smaller environment into a larger setup, would I be able to use the client licenses granted in the wider environment?

Thanks

Mark

5 REPLIES 5

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Refer to this web page: 

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/b-symc_netbackup_7.5_DS_21219459-2.en-us.pdf

Starter pack support up to 40 clients. Netbackup server and Netbackup enterprise server supprt a unlimited number of clients.

This is what I found regarding migration paths:

The individual components included in the Starter Pack cannot be cross-graded to higher functioning products. For example, a NetBackup Server license in the Starter Pack cannot be 
upgraded to NetBackup Enterprise Server.

You should feel free to discuess license terms with yore local Symantec or Partner consultant.

Sparktacus
Level 3

Hi Nicolai

Thank you for that, but i'm afraid it's not adressing the question I have. The server licensing is all clear.

My question is, are the NetBackup Standard Clients, provided in the Netbackup starter bundle, usable in a wider netbackup environment?

So for instance, I buy a netbackup starter pack with 5 Clients, and set that up as one environment.

I then acquire 5 more servers, which warrant Netbackup enterprise functionality, so I buy netbackup enterprise, and 5 Enterprise clients.

Can i wrap my 5 standard clients into that NetBackup enterprise server, or would I need to purchase 5 new netbackup standard clients?

Mark

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems this extract from Nicolai's post answers this question as well:

The individual components included in the Starter Pack cannot be cross-graded to higher functioning products.

You really need to discuss NBU licensing with your local reseller or with Symantec Customer Care (link at the bottom of this page).

Sparktacus
Level 3

Seems this extract from Nicolai's post answers this question as well:

The individual components included in the Starter Pack cannot be cross-graded to higher functioning products.

You really need to discuss NBU licensing with your local reseller or with Symantec Customer Care (link at the bottom of this page).

At no stage have I mentioned cross/upgrade. I am referring to using Netbackup Standard Clients as netbackup Standard Clients. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

higher functioning products includes NBU Enterprise Server.

We are not going to get into an argument about choice of words.

Please discuss with your Symantec reseller or Symantec Customer Care.