cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Tape Inventory Problem

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi All,

Our tape library was having a problem (HP ESL322E), then the engineer fixed the problem. After that I see "Media and Device Management" -> Media -> Robots -> TLD(1) the content is empty.

So what I did the "Invontory Robot" with the "Inventory operation" tick to "Update volume configuration" and start, it can do the  inventory for all the tapes in that tape library, but after I click OK. the content is still empty ( "Media and Device Management" -> Media -> Robots -> TLD(1) the content is empty)

So what it went wrong? Is it the tape library problem or the Netbackup Problem.

Thank you,

Iwan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The issue is most likely that the library is displaying a differnt barcode to nbu thn before, but the media id being calculated is the same, so nbu sees a new tape (because different barcode) but cannot add it as the media id is already in the db. Look in NBU media on the GUI and write down the barcode in say slot 1. EG AA1234 Run robtest and run s s Write down the barcode for the same tape in slot 1, eg AA1234L4 If they are different, as in my example, you need to set the library so it displays the same barcode as NBU, eg, only display the first 6 characters, then the barcodes will match. If the barcodes are in fact the same, report back here ... Martin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Bellow is the inventory result.

You can see this message:

Update failed: could not add new media ID '400239' into slot 1
Insert media failed:
media ID not unique in database (34)

Looks like the database of the tape is still there,  ecause If I eject the tape in that slot 1 then did the inventory again then it will complain the tape in tape in slot 2. so seems like every tape on my tape library are already in the netbackup database.

Any idea what is wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
07/13/2013 09:27:04
Robot: TLD(1) on ebs3-bck
Operation: Inventory and Update
EMM Server: ebsbck
Generating list of recommended changes ...

Proposed Change(s) to Update the Volume Configuration
=====================================================
Logically add new media 400239 (barcode 400239L4) to robot slot 1.
Logically add new media 401038 (barcode 401038L4) to robot slot 2.
Logically add new media 400166 (barcode 400166L4) to robot slot 441.
Updating volume configuration ...

Processing new media added to the robotic library by logically
adding media with new media IDs as follows...
 Media ID Slot
 ======== ====

Update failed: could not add new media ID '400239' into slot 1
Insert media failed:
media ID not unique in database (34)

Pawan_Nagra_777
Level 3

Hi,

Removed the media from the tape library and shutdown the library, but before this activity pls stop the netbackup services also.

This is Library issue.

pls share the total slot and free slot also.

Rgds,Pawan

watsons
Level 6

To check the media list in your Netbackup database, use "nbemmcmd -listmedia -verbose".

Due to the library issue that it was taken offline without Netbackup knowing it, its database will still have those media records. Now that the library is up and doing an inventory detects the previous media already exist, you can try to remove those media from the database by using "vmdelete -m <mediaiD>"

Once those affected media are deleted, re-inventory the robot again.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
The issue is most likely that the library is displaying a differnt barcode to nbu thn before, but the media id being calculated is the same, so nbu sees a new tape (because different barcode) but cannot add it as the media id is already in the db. Look in NBU media on the GUI and write down the barcode in say slot 1. EG AA1234 Run robtest and run s s Write down the barcode for the same tape in slot 1, eg AA1234L4 If they are different, as in my example, you need to set the library so it displays the same barcode as NBU, eg, only display the first 6 characters, then the barcodes will match. If the barcodes are in fact the same, report back here ... Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

I am so sorry I almost forgot this issue. We solved the problem.

• The tape library (TL) was hung before somehow it resetted most of the configuration (TL is HP  E322e)
  • There is one configuration "Barcode Length" resetted to 0 on the TL
  • After we changed it to 6 (like our tape  barcode length), netbackup can re-inventory

Regards, 

Iwan Tamimi