cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Tape drive Licences

PranavB
Level 4

Hello Geeks ,

Need to know if Netbackup FE TB license covers the virtual tape drives ??

Thanks,

Pb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Here you go .. from the 7.6 licensing guide...

Enterprise Disk Option has been discontinued in NetBackup 7.6. For customers using Standard licensing model, NetBackup Data Protection Optimization Option includes all of the features that were formerly available through Enterprise Disk Option, including Storage Life Cycle Policies, Media Server Load Balancing, Virtual Tape, and OpenStorage connectivity.

So you are fine for the VTL drives

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

FE TB covers it all

VTL drives fall within the Enterprise Disk section but everything is covered in the FETB now adays so you will be fine

PranavB
Level 4

Thanks Mark ,

We have a traditional licencing model but for disk based backups on data domain  we have purchased 400TB of FE license ,so it should cover the Virtual tapes drives as well ?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Depends upon your version and the license "name" or "title".   Can you give us the "exact" license names?

PranavB
Level 4

SYMC NETBACKUP DATA PROTECTION OPTIMIZATION OPTION 7.6 XPLAT 1 FRONT END TB STD LIC REWARDS BAND E

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You cannot use traditional and capacity license together.

One or the other.

The capacity license covers EVERYTHING. 

sdo

Depends upon your version and the license "name" or "title".   Can you give us the "exact" license names?  I ask because some of the traditional licenses can appear to be capacity licenses, e.g. DPOO.  What I mean is that the old DPOO license looks like a capacity license, but it isn't what now consider to be a capacity - in fact DPOO was (BTW it longer exists) a traditional license with TB metering.

PranavB
Level 4

Right  Marianne ,

The only confusion i have is right now if my below license covers Virtual drives.

SYMC NETBACKUP DATA PROTECTION OPTIMIZATION OPTION 7.6 XPLAT 1 FRONT END TB STD LIC REWARDS BAND E

SYMC NETBACKUP DATA PROTECTION OPTIMIZATION OPTION 7.6 XPLAT 1 is the license to backup data on Data Domain aka disk. This does have enabled all options like VTL ,flexible disk based option under license tab .

Pb

sdo
I'll check the guide and post back unless someone beats me to it....

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Origainally the data protection option is to use dedupe based on FE when everythhing else is using traditional licensing .. if that is the case then it will not cover tape drives, even VTL ones.

In 7.7 there is just one FETB license which confuses things more as it does include everything.....

I will double check the guide and see if data protection covers Enterprise Disk whci hi turn would cover VTL drives ... back soon....

PranavB
Level 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Here you go .. from the 7.6 licensing guide...

Enterprise Disk Option has been discontinued in NetBackup 7.6. For customers using Standard licensing model, NetBackup Data Protection Optimization Option includes all of the features that were formerly available through Enterprise Disk Option, including Storage Life Cycle Policies, Media Server Load Balancing, Virtual Tape, and OpenStorage connectivity.

So you are fine for the VTL drives

PranavB
Level 4

Thanks Mark !

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You are welcome  - don't forget to close off the thread using the "Mark as Solution" button against the answer(s) that solved your question