cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Tape writing behaviour

benjayhal
Level 3

Hello All,

I have a question about tape retention. The question may be stupid and /i think i know the answer, but I am not sure.

In a situation where netbackup is writing a frontend(client to tape)  or SLP driven deduplication backup (disk to tape).. and for some reason the backup fails.

What happens to the data that has already been written on the tape? Is it retained as per the policy schedule retention that is defined or is it discarded?

Also what happens to such a tape where the backup that was writing to it failed before it could complete?

Is there a way of identifying such tapes? Maybe erasing them and putting them i nthe scratch pool?

Any help is fully appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jay

7 REPLIES 7

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If a job fails and has NOT spanned to another tape, then the tape is rewond to the beginning of the failed jobs, and an empty header is wriitten.  Therefore, the failed data is inaccessable and will be overwritten the next time the tape is used.

If the failed backup has spanned to another tape, then the same is true, but only for the tape that is being written at the time the job fails.  Previous tapes used for the failed backups and not 'updated'.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

and if backup is multiplxed - e.g one good backup and one failed backup, the space used by the failed backup will be lost capacity until tape is returning to scratch status

Thanks for the replies.Is there any way to easily identify tapes which were part of failed backups? That is a scenario where backups have spanned multiple tapes and failed

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No, not really. Nor can you recover that lost space, tape is linar medium. Best and only option is to wait for backups to expire. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

All media-id's used in the job will be in Job Details or in All Log Entries report.

neelyang
Level 3

Thanks a lot for help - it works! If you are really in search of cv assistance, you should navigate to the professional cv writing services topcvwritersuk.com. They have the best and most affordable cv writing service which will surely get you the best resume in your term.

FillSmith
Level 3

Turning into a fruitful software engineer, to help with programming assignments, includes running long coding tasks to guarantee researchers have the significant information and abilities that line up with the gig market's requests. Learning and utilizing different programming dialects needs tolerance, commitment, examination, time, and practice.