cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup - Transfer dedup storage to another storage media server

FayezIT
Level 3

Hi All.

I have a LUN from an HP P2000 storage presented to my media server. So it appears as a partition on my media server. This server is configured as a storage server in my Netbackup. and a "pure disk" disk pool and storage unit is created from it.

So we are writing to this dedup disk (storage unit) since long time. Now we are bringing a new media server, and we want to transfer this dedup to it. off course we will present this LUN to the new server, so it will appear as a partition on it.
But how to do this transfer between servers in Netbackup, so the current data in this dedup will remain readable and restorable in Netbackup.

Any hints or Ideas ?

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You can't move a dedupe pool from media server to another, backup are tied to the media servers.

You have two options:

1: bpduplicate backups from old to new disk pool, then expire copy on the old MSDP pool. This can be a massive task  and not for the faint of heart

2: Re-direct backup from the old to the new media server and by time expire backups from the old MSDP pool. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please see if this topic meets your requirements:

Replacing the MSDP storage server host computer
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/25074086-127355784-0/v29133721-127355784

Thanks Marianne

We will install the new media server soon. I am reading the link and I think its what we want.
Will come back to this discussion to update on this once I start it.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Just note that a import of all MSDP images can take a very VERY long time.

How large is yore current MSDP pool ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
There was a similar query recently:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Replace-hardware-of-MSDP-media-server/td-p/857060

I still feel that the process that I referred to should work, but it seems that nobody has asked Veritas Support or tried it...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A total export/import is a clumsy solution - there should a migrate MSDP->MSDP function in Netbackup to handle that not very uncommon scenario.