cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup VM image level backup over WAN

dsk1
Level 4

Hi,

We are planning to perform VM Image level backups over the WAN to remote backup server. The transport mode should be NBD as SAN transport mode can't be used for remote backups. I know the backup performance would be limited to WAN link size and VMWare management network. I hope this is standard configuration that should have already implemented. Please advise if you see any issues to backup image level over the WAN.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

I don't think you will find any official document specific to a backup host.  It is all really dependent on the load you plan to put on the backup host and/or the types of VMs you are backing up.

You can start with a media server requirement and increase CPU/memory as needed if you start seeing issues related to CPU/memory.

https://sort.veritas.com/checklist/install/nbu_sample_win#title_nbu_media_req

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

If you have a media server with MSDP or 3rd party OST that supported client direct backups.  I would recommend putting the backup host(proxy) on a VM at the remote site, and have it send the deduplicated data to the media server.  Reducing the amount of data sent across the WAN.

Yes. Target storage is MSDP that is connected to master server. So If I use VM as proxy host, i will have to use HotAdd mode and the image is mounted on proxy host using HotAdd mode and then perform deduplication before sending it to master server. Right?

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

You are not limited to HotAdd, NBD is also an option.  But the benefit is by deduplicating the data before it is sent across the wire.

Also my mater server will be on Linux, so should the proxy host also on the same OS?

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

The proxy can be any support OS.  You are not restricted to use the same OS as the master.

Thank you so much. one last question. what configuration should I have on VM that actas as backup host? Do we have any specific CPU, Memory requirements? I could not find much information in Netbackup for VMWare document. Thanks in advance.

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

I don't think you will find any official document specific to a backup host.  It is all really dependent on the load you plan to put on the backup host and/or the types of VMs you are backing up.

You can start with a media server requirement and increase CPU/memory as needed if you start seeing issues related to CPU/memory.

https://sort.veritas.com/checklist/install/nbu_sample_win#title_nbu_media_req