cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup VMware - Exchange GRT Config

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

After much research on this one I am confused as to the exact requirements to backup Exchange 2007/2010 running on a Virtual Machine, with GRT, to a 52xx Appliance.

I have a simple Exchange environment (single server running all roles) running on a W2K8R2 VM,  The Master Server is 7506 on W2K8R2 running on Virtual, and the appliance (media server) is 252.

I believe that the following steps are required:

1. Ensure that NFS role is installed on the Exchange VM (NFS should already be there on the appliance)

2. Install NBU Client on the Exchange VM

3. Ensure that the client services are running with a user having Exchange Admin access

4. Create a VMware policy and check the Exchange Application box on the VMware tab, and truncate logs option (schedule must be full backup)

Is that it, or am I missing something ?

AJ.

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I also see the following in  NetBackup 7.5.0.x for VMware Administrator's Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5605  :

Enable Exchange Recovery: 
This option enables recovery of the Exchange databases or mailbox messages from the
virtual machine backups. If this option is disabled, you can recover the entire virtual machine
from the backup, but you cannot recover the databases or mailbox messages individually.
To use the Enable Exchange Recovery option, note:
■ The Enable file recovery from VMbackup option must be enabled.
■ The Enable block-level incremental backup option must be disabled.
For more information, refer to the NetBackup for Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator's Guide.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Marianne, thanks for that. I didn't note those as they are the default settings in the VMware policy type. One thing I did omit is the need to install the Symantec VSS driver on exchange to enable log truncation. AJ

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems you have everything covered!

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

OK - I have implemented this and come accross the following issues:

1. The backup is being catalogued as the IP address of the Exchange Server as opposed to the name (so I am specifying the IP address as the client - whereas I would like to be specifying the server name)

2. Following a FULL backup - When I go into the BAR console (on either the Master Server or the Exchange Server) I can see the backup OK when I select VMWARE as the Policy Type, and also when I select MS-Exchange as the policy type.  However, When in the MS-Exchange Policy Type I see the Information Store listed but cannot expand it to get down to the individual mailboxes.  I would expect to be able to expand this down to the message level in each mailboxes.

I have the Client (7506) and the Symantec vSphere VSS provider installed on the Exchange Server, and it already had the NFS Client installed.

I have the NFS Client installed on the Master Server.

I have not done anything regarding NFS on the 52xx Appliance (as I assume the Linux server has the NFS already installed....).  I am backing up the Exchange server (2010) through the 52xx Appliance.  Master is at 7506, 52xx is at 251, Exchange client is 7506.

Any ideas what am I missing here ?

AJ

RLeon
   VIP   

I have a simple Exchange environment (single server running all roles) running on a W2K8R2 VM

That should make things alot easier, because DAG in VMs requires a special configuration. Here is the link just for reference.

It seems you have covered all of the prerequisites and configurations so I won't repeat them.

I usually start troubleshooting VMware based Exchange problems by first making sure that the traditional agent based GRT backups and restores work. If they don't, then vmdk snapshot based Exchange GRT backups and restores will most certainly not work either.

Make sure the peculiar Application State Capture (ASC) job completes successfully with status 0.

If the guest OS is configured to used GPT partitions instead of MBR, then Exchange GRT is not supported.

If you are currently using "VM Host Name" for your Primary VM Identifier, try everything again using the VMware Display Name instead.
Note that if your VM Display Name is different to the actual hostname configured in the guest OS, then for restores, for the destination client field you will have to stick with using the VM Display Name because that's how NetBackup identified the VM during backups.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have progressed this and am now at this stage:

I have the backup completeing successfully and it reports the client as the VM Display name as required (as opposed to the IP address).  ASC, SNAPSHOT & BACKUP all complete code 0.

I can open up the backup in BAR, using MS-EXCHANGE as the policy type.

I can expand the databases and drill down to the message level (it takes some time each time I expand a level - but it does complete)

I am now getting the RAI Error 6 in the restore job (job completes with a staus 5 and then another job with a 2810), and nothing gets restored.  I have read various posts and one in particular gives good advice.  I am however confused regarding the Distributed Application Mapping entries required.  In this case I have a simple Exchange setup with ALL components on the same server.  In this case what entries do I need in the Master Server Distributed Application Mapping properties ?

I have the one Exchange 2010 server, and backup to a 5230 appliance with a VMWARE policy (SAN attached LUN's containing datastores), and at present am attempting the restore from the Master Server.  The Exchange servers has an entry on the ADDITIONAL SERVERS tab of the Master Server properties, the backup works successfully, NFS is installed on both the Master and the Exchange Server, NBU client is installed on the Exchange Server (7506 on Master & Cient, 7505/252 on 5230).  I am unsure as to what I should enter into the Distributed Application Mapping properties - advice welcomed ??

I have not tried a restore yet from the Exchange Client, only from the master server.  In the BAR console I have the same Exchange Server entry in for the Source and Target.

Any input welcomed.

AJ.

RLeon
   VIP   

The Distributed Application Mapping setting is for associating a cluster name (DAG, CCR, etc.) with its nodes. It is not required to configure this for a standalone single server setup. However, for peace of mind and to narrow down the possibilities, you could simply set the Application Host and Component Host to the same Exchange server host name.

As said earlier, I would recommend focusing first on getting the traditional agent based GRT backups and restores to work perfectly, before advancing to VMware based ASC GRT.
I.e., Get the policy-type MS-Exchange-Server to work first, then try policy-type VMware with Exchange ASC.

Does the Exchange guest OS have any combination of GPT disks and Dynamic disks? (As opposed to the traditional MBR disks and Basic disks.)
Check using diskpart > list disk

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the input.

I have discovered that the service account used for the Exchange Access (administered in the US) does not have an associated mailbox.  Upon discovering this I have sent on ALL the requirements again to the Exchange Admin to ensure that EVERYTHING is covered.

Once I receive the OK from them I will re-test and hopefully all will be well.

AJ