Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup VMware snapshot stuck at "begin writing"

florin_s
Level 4
Certified

hello,

backup for a VM is getting stuck at "begin writing", i can see it enumerates the number of files to be backed up then it just freezes until i cancell it.

env info:

Netbackup 7.5.0.1 and vsphere 4.0

policy tried using Flash Backup Windows and VMware type policies with same result.

also in vmware i see around 10-20 "map disk region events" after snapshot creation.

best regards,

florin

4 REPLIES 4

Douglas_A
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

In the job details can you see what Transport Type its using?

Its possible its trying to use something like NBDSSL which could be getting blocked somewhere.. if its SAN its possible the Storage array is not able to stream the data. Really there are a few things that can cause this..

I would start with something basic.. do you see the snapshot being created in Vsphere? If not is there an error? does anything at all happen in vsphere?

Essentially NBU just tells VSphere to snapshot the VM, so if thats not even happening we need to look at the Guest or the Host and see whats happeneing there.

Henry_Cheng
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I have the similar issue. It took about 30 minutes before the "Map Disk Region" messages gone, and the backup performance is very poor - I am getting about 11Mbps vs. 80-90Mbps over SAN transport. I did check at the Snapshot manager, the snapshot was added successfully.

Anyone else has the similar problems? I heard that it might be due to previous snapshot, and suggest delete all previous snapshots. however, i would like to keep those previous snapshots. 

Best regards,

Henry 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Verify you have the correct permissions in vsphere for the VMware Credentials input into NetBackup. See TN:

What are the minimum permissions needed to properly backup and restore using vStorage api?

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130493

Not good practice to leave snapshots around for too long.

The message from experts on the forum and from Symantec seems clear - if running Netbackup for VMware at any version, update to the latest update/maintenance pack release on that version, then troubleshoot.

So
7.1 > 7.1.0.4 (should put in place plan to upgrade to 7.5.x)

7.5 > 7.5.0.3

Upgrade Master Servers and Vmware backup media servers also.

florin_s
Level 4
Certified

all netbackup env(mater/media) is at 7.5.0.3 level.

only one machine has this problem so i've quit wasting time finding a solution and installed netbackup agent.

i'm not happy with this workaround (speed is slower than SAN backups) but, for now it does the job.