cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Vs ShadowProtect Software

Ishant
Level 2

We have been using Netbackup now for the last 5 plus years and happy with it. But, corporate wants us to switch to StorageCraft ShadowProtect due to its cheaper price and almost same feature compare to Netbackup. I can't  find comparisons out on a google search between netbackup and shadowprotect. Since both have new versions released later part of last year of first of this year does Netbackup have a recent comparison PDF file that I can review/submit to corporate to show them what advantages Netbackup  has over ShadowProtect?

Or if anyone can help to let me know the  strong justification to say shadow protect is not an enterprise class solution and can not be compared with netbackup.

Thanks

Ishant

2 REPLIES 2

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

A fast look on the StorageCraft ShadowProtect page, shows a lot less features than Netbackup as it seems to be a Windows only system but even then something like MSSQL is not mentioned. To my mind not an enterpise product, even SCDPM (Which I really don't like) seems better.

Would point my management to the Gartner quadrant and ask them about longevity/market share of the two companies.

A thing management also tend to forget is the cost of migrating from one backup system to another, especially the man hour cost.

Must say it is the first I hear about ShadowProtect, being in backup since 2000/2001

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

yes I haven't also heard about this system up to now. Looks like backup system for workgroups, not like enterprise system.

If your environment fits the requirements, I'd recommend to migrate rather to Veritas Backup Exec.

Anyway, I recommend to consult a Veritas presale representative.

regards

Michal