cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Windows code 156

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hello,

We have Windows client that is constantly getting the dreaded 156 error when I click on the details I see these type errors.

WRN – Snapshot Error while opening directory: GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy34\Program Files\Common File\System

WRN -Snapshot Error while opening directory: GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy42\Program Files\Common File\System

I checked the vssadmin list writers and they look ok. I check the viewer logs and I see nothing to indicate it’s a shadow copy issue

C:\>vssadmin list writers

vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool

(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Writer name: 'Task Scheduler Writer'

Writer Id: {d61d61c8-d73a-4eee-8cdd-f6f9786b7124}

Writer Instance Id: {1bddd48e-5052-49db-9b07-b96f96727e6b}

State: [1] Stable

Last error: No error

Writer name: 'VSS Metadata Store Writer'

Writer Id: {75dfb225-e2e4-4d39-9ac9-ffaff65ddf06}

Writer Instance Id: {088e7a7d-09a8-4cc6-a609-ad90e75ddc93}

Writer name: 'Performance Counters Writer'

Writer Id: {0bada1de-01a9-4625-8278-69e735f39dd2}

Writer Instance Id: {f0086dda-9efc-47c5-8eb6-a944c3d09381}

Writer name: 'System Writer'

Writer Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}

Writer Instance Id: {4d51c367-77d7-418c-adf6-256aac9c25a3}

Writer name: 'ASR Writer'

Writer Id: {be000cbe-11fe-4426-9c58-531aa6355fc4}

Writer Instance Id: {62430e04-d624-40c6-bc5a-2826aed1f08d}

Writer name: 'WMI Writer'

Writer Id: {a6ad56c2-b509-4e6c-bb19-49d8f43532f0}

Writer Instance Id: {90a6807d-f573-4600-aaa5-742a4dff80e7}

Writer name: 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer'

Writer Id: {4dc3bdd4-ab48-4d07-adb0-3bee2926fd7f}

Writer Instance Id: {3377fc33-6642-437a-95a8-4ac6ea60e2f3}

Writer name: 'Registry Writer'

Writer Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}

Writer Instance Id: {6aeeb7c2-03ee-4b64-86ed-c3d948935757}

Writer name: 'COM+ REGDB Writer'

Writer Id: {542da469-d3e1-473c-9f4f-7847f01fc64f}

Writer Instance Id: {dd2a0f44-38ab-4bde-b8d6-47c7acefcb81}

Also, I  changed the client so that it is using VSS and  NOT VSP for open files however we are still getting the 156 error.

I attached the bpcd log however is doesn't  show much and the bpfis and bpbkar logs are empty and the remain empty for each backup.

NOTE: This is a relatively new backup and it has been getting the 156 error since we started backing it up, so it has never got a completely successful backup.

Client info

Windows 2008 64bit server

We have  7.6.0.3 client running on it.

WRN – Snapshot Error while opening directory: GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy34\Program Files\Common File\System

WRN -Snapshot Error while opening directory: GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy42\Program Files\Common File\System

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It sounds as if backup is actually writing but fails later on with status 156?

If that is the case, then you need to check comms between client and the master server.
The client needs to update snapshot info that is located on the master server.
This info seems to be updated at the end of the backup, not the beginning.
bpfis log will confirm.

2 possible solutions:

1. Check that Client has correct Server entry for Master (not just a server) and that connectivity works in both directions (forward and reverse name lookup as well as port connectivity).
2. In Host Properties -> Master -> Client Attributes, add/select client name.
In Windows Open File Backup tab, for Snapshot error control, select Disable snapshot and continue.
The default is Abort.

My own experience with status 156 : 
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Failing-backups-status-156/m-p/710476#M190301

View solution in original post

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

In addition to the very good advice above there is also this blog http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2010/06/18/reasons-why-the-error-enumeration-of-the-files...

Which I have used a lot to troubleshoot different VSS errors.

Have often found the problem to be a too small shadow area, unfortunately this does not always gives event log entries.

Another problem I have seen is big open files like a running SQL server dump

Hope this helps

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Born2rise
Level 4
On which drive the backup is getting failed. If you are using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as backup selection then try to run it in multiple stream. It will give you the info about failure and please upload the bpbkar log with high verbosity. It should be generated if created on correct log path

Marianne
Best to fix comms issue between client and master. bpfis log on the client will tell if there are genuine issues with snapshot. I agree with above post - if you have ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in Backup Selection, select Allow multiple data streams in Attributes. But only do so before next Full backup. You will need to troubleshoot issues with System State backup. Verbose bpbkar log will help. Unsuccessful System State backup will cause inability to perform full system restore. Since we now know that comms issue with master server is causing status 156, it will be best to close off this discussion and start a new one for System State backup. We will need bpbkar log (as .txt).

13 REPLIES 13

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

bpfis log should be generated...

plese show us the detail status of the failed job, and also put the verbose as 5 and make sure bpfis log directory is created in correct log location and try backup again.

if you see the bpfis log with verbose 5, attach the log to this post

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thanks Nagalla for your response,

I have created a bpfis log before however not with verbose 5. Do I just create like this >>>bpfis=verbose 5?  I tried to find the correct syntax but no luck.

RiaanBadenhorst

Any volsnap errors in Event Viewer?

Possible
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Please check the space allocated for snapshot creation. e.g. If u have 100GB filled drive ; u need to have at 10Gb allocated for snapshot

Marianne

It sounds as if backup is actually writing but fails later on with status 156?

If that is the case, then you need to check comms between client and the master server.
The client needs to update snapshot info that is located on the master server.
This info seems to be updated at the end of the backup, not the beginning.
bpfis log will confirm.

2 possible solutions:

1. Check that Client has correct Server entry for Master (not just a server) and that connectivity works in both directions (forward and reverse name lookup as well as port connectivity).
2. In Host Properties -> Master -> Client Attributes, add/select client name.
In Windows Open File Backup tab, for Snapshot error control, select Disable snapshot and continue.
The default is Abort.

My own experience with status 156 : 
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Failing-backups-status-156/m-p/710476#M190301

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

In addition to the very good advice above there is also this blog http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2010/06/18/reasons-why-the-error-enumeration-of-the-files...

Which I have used a lot to troubleshoot different VSS errors.

Have often found the problem to be a too small shadow area, unfortunately this does not always gives event log entries.

Another problem I have seen is big open files like a running SQL server dump

Hope this helps

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

nbustarter380
Level 6

Riaan, easy and Marianne thanks for your replies,

Any volsnap errors in Event viewer?  NO there are no volsnap errors that I see infact I don’t see any errors that could be related to the backup.

Possible,

There looks to be enough space for snapshot

Marianne,

Yes , the backup is actually doing some writing before failing.

I checked the client has the correct master server entry.

I did notice while checking connectivity  that the client host name does not match when I entered the following command.

./bptestbpcd -client moxxywinthorpe.mycompany.com-verbose -debug

The connectivity seems fine still checking though however the name still comes up with the name of the server that this server replaced.

[root@nbu10w0 admincmd]# ./bptestbpcd -client  Moxxywinthorpe.mycompany.com -verbose -debug

11:59:59.875 [67763] <2> bpcr_get_version_rqst: bpcd version: 07600002

PEER_NAME = nbu10w0

HOST_NAME = number55.mycompany.com

CLIENT_NAME = number55.mycompany.com

VERSION = 0x07600002

PLATFORM = win_x86

PATCH_VERSION = 7.6.0.3

SERVER_PATCH_VERSION = 7.6.0.3

MASTER_SERVER = nbu10w0

EMM_SERVER = nbu10w0

NB_MACHINE_TYPE = CLIENT

11:59:59.907 [67763] <2> vnet_pbxConnect: pbxConnectEx Succeeded

11:59:59.935 [67763] <8> do_pbx_service: [vnet_connect.c:2152] via PBX VNETD CONNECT FROM xx.xx.xxx.xx.63286 TO xx.xxx.xx.1556 fd = 5

xx.xx.xxx.xx:63286 -> xx.xx.xxx.xx:1556

<2>bptestbpcd: EXIT status = 0

12:00:00.170 [67763] <2> bptestbpcd: EXIT status = 0

[root@nbu10w0 admincmd]#

2 )  The correct name is  in >>Host Properties >>Master>>>Client Attributes.

I did have to update the Windows Open file Backup tab  for snapshot error control. I selected Disable snapshot and continue as you suggested. So we will see if that helps with the backup.

As far as the bpfis log I did create one and it continues to NOT generate anything. How do you create the bpfis verbose 5 log in windows?  When create the log I normally just create bpfis  in the netbackup logs folder and normally something is generated after a backup. However  so far nothing appears in the bpfis or bpbkar logs.

Thanks again for your responses I will update soon.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Thanks Micheal G for your response as well. I will take a look at the blog.

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hi All,

update

the >>./bptestbpcd -client Moxxywinthorpe.mycompany.com -verbose -debug  command generated something in the bpcd log see attached log

Marianne, once again you are on to something I see this  process_requests: Server access denied

connectivity issue in the log. I have to find out what is causing it because the connection to our backup server seems fine

thanks again for all your responses

Will_Restore
Level 6

Wow, that log looks a lot like one of our SQL servers that went awry last week.

I'd be curious what you find to fix this. 

nbustarter380
Level 6

Hello,

The backup completed with a partial success.  (NO 156 error)  however not sure if that is good either.

Hi Marianne,

The below is what I did that I believe got us a  partial success backup.

In Windows Open File Backup tab, for Snapshot error control, select Disable snapshot and continue.

Should I leave it as is? Just checking because in the details of the errors I see the following.

WRN - can't open object System State:\System Files\System Files (Win32 3758161617: Unknown error)

WRN - can't open object System State:\Registry\Registry (Win32 3758161617: Unknown error)

WRN - can't open object System State:\COM + CLASS REGISTRATION DATABASE\COM+REGDB (win32 3758161617 : Unknown error)

WRN - can't open object System State:\Windows Management Instrumental\WMI(WIN3213758161617: Unknown error)

WRN - can't open object System State:\Event logs (WIN32 3758161617: Unknown error)

Best Regards

Born2rise
Level 4
On which drive the backup is getting failed. If you are using ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES as backup selection then try to run it in multiple stream. It will give you the info about failure and please upload the bpbkar log with high verbosity. It should be generated if created on correct log path

Marianne
Best to fix comms issue between client and master. bpfis log on the client will tell if there are genuine issues with snapshot. I agree with above post - if you have ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in Backup Selection, select Allow multiple data streams in Attributes. But only do so before next Full backup. You will need to troubleshoot issues with System State backup. Verbose bpbkar log will help. Unsuccessful System State backup will cause inability to perform full system restore. Since we now know that comms issue with master server is causing status 156, it will be best to close off this discussion and start a new one for System State backup. We will need bpbkar log (as .txt).