cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup alternate client in off-host backup method

dinu4010
Level 3

Hi experts,

I would like to choose an alternate client in off-host backup option for the policy type DB2. in admin guides, simply a sentence "additional confguration is required to choose an alternate client" is written. in addition, disk array presented to primary host need to be presented to alternet client is mentioned. 

my questions as below

what kind of additonal configuration is required for an alternate client ? also disk array should be shared to seconday host means, the LUN provided to primary host should be visible to secondary as well ?

apary from above configuration, do i need any other settings/configuration for primary and seconday host ?

please advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
It means you need all volumes for db2 need to be mirrored to other volumes on physically separate disk.
You need underlying hardware or software snapshot technology. NBU does not take the snapshot. It sends a message to the snapshot tools to take the snapshot, break off the mirror and present it to the media server or other client.

Maybe this Infoscale (Veritas software technology ) link explains it better than I do:
https://sort.veritas.com/public/documents/sf/5.0MP3/solaris/html/sf_syb_admin/ch07s04.htm

Most hardware arrays (Dell/EMC, HP, HDS, etc) have similar tools. All at additional cost and hardware (for the mirrors).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
You need supported snapshot technology - array snapshot or software (infoscale).
A full size mirror is needed. NBU then interacts with the snapshot utilities to break off the mirror and present it to the 'alternate client'. After the backup, the mirror will be returned to the source volume and re-synced.

Enterprise Client license is needed.
Supported snapshot technology can be found in the HCL and HOWTO in Snapshot Client manual.

Hi Marianne,

thanks for your replys, what do you mean "full size mirror is needed", can you please explain this little more. as per my assumption netbackup creates the snapshot in primary host and the created snapshot will be read by seconday host "alternate client", by then backup will be completed. in this case the LUN which is visible for the primary host should also be visible and shared to secondary host right ?

Marianne
It means you need all volumes for db2 need to be mirrored to other volumes on physically separate disk.
You need underlying hardware or software snapshot technology. NBU does not take the snapshot. It sends a message to the snapshot tools to take the snapshot, break off the mirror and present it to the media server or other client.

Maybe this Infoscale (Veritas software technology ) link explains it better than I do:
https://sort.veritas.com/public/documents/sf/5.0MP3/solaris/html/sf_syb_admin/ch07s04.htm

Most hardware arrays (Dell/EMC, HP, HDS, etc) have similar tools. All at additional cost and hardware (for the mirrors).

thanks much for clear explanation marianne.