cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup and 3PAR

stuart_graham
Level 2

I'm looking to use NBU 7.5 to handle our VM backups in our infrastructure which uses 3PAR F400 for storage. I've checked the compat lists and it looks like some elements are compatible but some are not. Can anyone offer advice on this if they are either currently using this setup or have came across this before?

The infrastructure is all W2K200x and we would be looking to do integrated backups of Exchange and Sharepoint as well as the usual file data.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU does not have a compatibility list for VM data stores. If 3PAR is supported by VMware, there is no reason why it won't work with NBU.

NBU for VMware only mentions Thin Provisioning in restore context.
It also says:

For more information on virtual disk provisioning, refer to VMware's documentation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU does not have a compatibility list for VM data stores. If 3PAR is supported by VMware, there is no reason why it won't work with NBU.

NBU for VMware only mentions Thin Provisioning in restore context.
It also says:

For more information on virtual disk provisioning, refer to VMware's documentation.

stuart_graham
Level 2

Thanks Marianne yes

I see what you mean, looks like if the host sees storage then it's a go. We use Data Protector just now and it's not reliable enough with respect to VM backups. Looks like NBU has got things sorted by the look of the online promo videos. I'm hoping to get an eval sorted out and tested.

I wonder how the NBU capability measures up to Veeam when considering the best product for VM BUR?

Stuart

wink

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If Veeam really works as they said, Veeam is strong for VM backups rather than NetBackup for VMware for now.
Veeam is intended to Virtualization, but NetBackup can protect both virtualized and physical environment. If you have physical environment, and want to manage backup and recovery with single tool, NetBackup is better choice.

I wonder how Veeam provide U-AIR feature and indiviaual file restore feature for Any File System.

Hi Marianne

Maybe my prob is related to here because i have also a problem between netbackup 7.7.1 and HP storage 3par 8200

our VM backup was going smoothly. but suddenly vm backup jobs started to take a very long time. a single small 30GB VM might take 2 days, and then it fails.

I suspect the storage, because vm backup job only fails with VMs that are on 3par LUNs (VMs on EVA LUNs finish successfuly and are still fast).

Any known compatibility issues for netbackup and 3par ??

eduncan
Level 5
Employee

If you believe it is the array, why not download a 3rd party look like HD_Speed to test read speeds of the 3PAR LUNs.  If that reports bad read speed then call 3PAR.

If you are using Multiple Path, maybe you can try going to a single path and test each path until you find the problem path.