cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup appliance images not deleted

eccio
Level 4

Hi all.

Our storage get full even the image cleaning job is running regularly.

I see entries on the log, that images are deleted, but the space on the storage is not cleaned.

Any advice or help is highly appreciated.

Appliance Version: 3.1
NetBackup Version: 8.1
Build Date: 20170925173615

thanks

Marian

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@eccio 

Image cleanup on dedupe volume is not straight forward - if any other image still rely on a previous backup, then the data will not be removed from disk when expired.

You may want to read through these sections in NBU Dedupe Guide and then double-check all the relevant processes in your environment: 

Deleting backup images
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/25074086-127355784-0/v29772416-127355784

About the MSDP data removal process
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/25074086-127355784-0/v95642965-127355784

Hi Marianne.

I tried already all these steps except the -notimmediate option.

Seems my issue is caused by disabled SLP. Months ago I had to disable the replication to onter storage.

According to info from Mark_Solution, if an image is not duplicated by SLP it is set to infinite retention intil replicated.

I cant allow to replicate any of the images due space issue on the other storage. So I have to somehow let the not replicated images to expire.

Hi

Look at the "force_not_complete" option to bpexpdate - this will expire images that are still in SLP processing.

Cheers
David

Marianne

@eccio 
I see that you have found an old post : https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Dedupe-disk-is-full/m-p/875046

Yes, original SLP backup copies get an expiration date of INFINITY until all secondary actions have completed successfully (e.g. duplication and/or replication). This has always been the case and documented in the Storage Lifecycle chapter in Admin Guide I.

It is extremely important that you work with a knowlegeable Veritas partner that can assist with correct dedupe sizing to ensure that your capacity meets your company's retention requirements. Hopefully there are plans in place to increase capacity on your 'other storage' ? 

You can expire images as per @davidmoline 's post, or cancel the outstanding SLPs that should've expired by now.

Hi David.

Thank you very much for your comment.

Actually I"m running the bpexpdate with -force_not_complete command and I see in the "nbauditreport", that plenty of old images (based on the image ID number) got expiration date change.

Do you know when I will see any result of this on the disk pool? Or how to force to free the space on the storage imeediatelly? I need to get the free space as soon as possible, as right now no backups running at all because the free space on the storage is below 3%.

thanks

Marian

eccio
Level 4

I tried to find orphaned images on the storage based on these information:

http://sysarticles.com/how-to-find-orphaned-images-on-disk-for-netbackup-dedup-disk-or-advanced-disk...

After running the command: find -not -name “__*__*” -type f >/tmp/DEDUPE_IMAGES-mediaservername.txt on MSDP storage server “<STORAGE_LOCATION>/databases/catalog” if see lot of records which are not from the related master server, but these data was months ago replicated from another master server (by SLP as second copy). These images already does not exit any more nor in the source master server DB nor in the destination master server, but as I told still see entries on storage.

Any way to check what these are, if locking space and how safely to remove these from the storage?

Marianne

@eccio 

Best to log a call with Veritas Support for assistance with removal of orphaned data.

Hi Marianne.

My customer have no support contract with Veritas anymore, so I'm not sure I can log a ticket.

Actually I do not know how to do that.

thanks

Marian

Marianne

BTW: any easy way to create a report on not expired images with the following information included (client name, data size, retention time, deduplication ratio)? I was checking the OpsCenter, but did not found a right one.

Marianne

@eccio 

I have no idea how you can solve this issue without Veritas Support. 
You need to tell your customer that they need to renew their maintenance contract.
There are many posts here on VOX about orphaned images - each one was told that Support have internal tools to investigate and fix. 
Even the non-Veritas URL that you found says to 'Create a technical case'.

About dedupe ratios - I am only aware of the global dedupe ratio in NBU GUI and OpsCenter reports.

The question about client dedupe rates was asked over here (with no Solution):
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup-Appliance/How-to-find-Netbackup-Deduplication-Rate-for-multiple...

Hi Marianne.

Any chance you know the cost of the support from Veritas (providing the script)?

thank you

Marian

Marianne

@eccio 

Your customer needs to request a quote via their local reseller. 

Each quote is custom crafted by the Veritas renewals team and might include reinstatement fees, depending on how long ago their maintenance has expired. 
Please encourage them to renew hardware (appliance) and software (license) maintenance.