cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup bprestore issue - No files in the new destionation.

Frollo
Level 2

Dear all, 

Thanks for your answer. I'm working on Windows machine. With NB version 7.5.0.6 with MS-Windows restore (t 13)

I have an issue with bprestore command.

Just to explain you, I have :

1. MASTER Server : server1.fr
  2. Source machine for original Backup : server2
  3. Destination / Targer machine for restored files : server2
  4. Nevertheless, my files are located on server3/t$/basketball
  5. And I would like change server3/t$/basketball to server4/t$/tennis

In order to do that, I read a lot of things about bprestore and how to use it. Also, thank's to many posts one different topics here. 

My command is : 

bprestore -B -drs -t 13 -L /C/temp/restore.log -s 9/13/2014 -e 10/11/2014 -S server1.fr -C server2 -D server2 -R /C/temp/rename.txt -f /C/temp/list.txt

The file rename.txt :

change //server3.fr/t$/basketball/ to //server4.fr/t$/tennis/test_restore <CR> (click enter at the end)

The file list.txt :

\\server3.fr\t$\basketball

When, I run the command, everything should be ok, like "Successefully Completed", the numbers of the files is ok etc.... (I saw that thank's to the NB Admin Console) (media server correctly appears on the console)

Nevertheless, I go in the directroy and nothing has changed, no new directory with the file.

After a little investigation by myself : 

When I go to the logs, something is missing. Indeed, I saw in another topic on this website, the steps (see the attachement) are missing in my logs files. 

I try to do it from the GUI, and everything is ok. I saw all logs entries, the files are in the other path. (same dates, same path, same Master, same Client, without ACL, just modify the destination in the last)

In order  to resolve it, I try to map \\server3.fr\t$\basketball and \\server4.fr\t$\tennis\test as a network drive.

Thanks to a little script like : 

$1=\\server3.fr\t$\basketball

$2=\\server4.fr\t$\tennis\test
net use k: $1

net use s:$2

echo change //server3.fr/t$/basketball/ to //server4.fr/t$/tennis/test_restore > c:\temp\rename.txt

bprestore -B -drs -t 13 -L /C/temp/restore.log -s 9/13/2014 -e 10/11/2014 -S server1.fr -C server2 -D server2 -R /C/temp/rename.txt -f /C/temp/list.txt

The script works, the command is launched in NetAdmin console, but when I go to the new path, nothing it's happend. 

That's why, I have two questions :

• Where is (are) my mistake(s) ? 
  • How is It possible to have my files after a restore from the GUI but doesn't work from the command line, because, during the process I try to "translate" GUI comportment in the command line. I saw the documentations, man page, a lot of things. 

Thank's for your answer. 

7 REPLIES 7

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

when you are restoring to local server's disks, is it working?

When you restore to a netwotk path, why you use different client for restore? It could be the same client.

Anyway, when restoring to network paths, NetBackup Client of the restoring client must run under account with proper write permission.

Regards

Michal

Hello,

Yes of course, I completetly forget to precise this information. 

It's a good question, because we have all data that are in one client. In this client you have a lot of backups associated too many networks paths. It's designed like this on the infrastructure.... 

Must ? Okay, I suppose It was done by Netbackup services. But, this configuration type was done from GUI, with same information and JUST modify the destination and everything is ok like that. To be more precise, we will restore a lot of things, that's why, used Netbackup command line will be better, because we can automate this task after the redaciton of scripts. 

Hamza_H
   VIP   

when you tried the restore from the GUI, do you overwrite the file? did you tried to do that by command? after that you execute the cmd line restore, what do logs say when its finished (status=0) in user_ops logs?

tar restored 0 of 1 file?

BR

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You might find that eventhough you did this

Thanks to a little script like : 

$1=\\server3.fr\t$\basketball

$2=\\server4.fr\t$\tennis\test
net use k: $1

net use s:$2

NetBackup doesn't have access as it tries to access the share as "system". Have you made sure the NetBackup client service on server2 is started with a domain account that can write to \\server4.fr\t$\tennis\test

Why don't just do the restore with '-C server2 -D server4' and use T:\

And to add to that, why don't you backup on server3 instead of via server2? What is the reason?

Hello, 

Thank's for your answer. 

From the GUI, everything is ok. It's overwrited. Nevertheless , from command line, nothing it's happend. It says, "Successfully Completed" and all files are restord.

KR, 

@RiaanBadenhorst 

Hello, 

Thank's for your answer. 

Yes, sure ! 

I try of course, but I received an error message like "MS-Windows Policy error". 

Sorry, but I don't have the answer for your question because, it was done since many years before... Historical choice I suppose and many dependances behind that. 

KR, 

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

my 2 cents...

1) This isn't right:

change //server3.fr/t$/basketball/ to //server4.fr/t$/tennis/test_restore

...one of them is a folder and the other could be (as we see it) a folder or a file, but NetBackup from a pure sense would most likely assume that a path not ending in / is a file.  So, each side has to be either a folder, or a file - you cannot mix the two.

2) You cannot use the above construct to request a folder contents or tree restore, it just doesn't work like that.  What I mean is every object that is to be restored, be it a folder or a file, must be specified in the file list and also in the change list *AND* they must be at the same point i.e. in the same order, i.e. if you have 50 entries in the file list (e.g. one folder plus 49 files) then you must also have 50 entries in the change list (one folder and 49 files).

3) When I first tried scripted re-directed restore I also couldn't get the "change source to target<CR>" method to work - I never found out why (afterwards I always assumed it was me doing something wrong) - and instead I used this method:

rename len source len target

...AND... (I see that you did, so this is for others) remember that even when restoring "Windows" style content via Windows based NetBackup Servers and Clients you still have to use Unix style folder and file notation... even the official documentation:

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/15263389-133604923-0/v14666184-133604923

...shows the example for a Windows style restore of:

rename 11 /C/fred.txt 12 /C/fred2.txt