Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup catalog restoration

hrom
Level 3
Certified

Hi all,

There was a loss of some images in NetBackUp database from one year.

It is needed to restore NetBackUp catalog.

NetBackUp catalog backup consist few files. But by some reasons I've got an only file from "BACKUP" folder -

servername_1345618852_C1_F1.1345618852.img.

And one file from "G:\BACKUP\CatalogDB" folder -

xxx-CATALOG-HOT_1345618852_FULL.

When I use "Recover the catalog" wizard it does not work.

Is there any workaround or other methods to recovering catalog?

Thank you in advance

20 REPLIES 20

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Are you trying to restore the entire catalog or just part of it ?

Was the original backup done to tape or disk ?

What OS and version of NBU are you running ?

What errors are you getting ?

hrom
Level 3
Certified

I try to restore entire catalog.

The main objective is to know tapes numbers to importing it in current database. Maybe I can achive that with another way?

Original backup was done on disk. Current file takes about 200gb.

OS-2003, NBU version 7.1 and earlier.

Unfortunately I do not remember error number, but I recall that there was sentence regarding of lack of files. If error code is really needed I will try to restore it once again tomorrow.

MRM
Level 2
Employee
I would suggest requesting the updated catalog manipulation guide from Symantec. (published for symantec consultant use). It outlines in detail, Several catalog manipulation utility available for populating parts of the catalog with data extracted from other domains. Regards, Marlon Rose-Mighty Storage Data Protection - Consultant

NathanNieman
Level 6

Bprevocer -wizard

-copy number

Specifies the number of the copy of the catalog backup image to be used for the recovery operation. This option restores from a non-primary copy of the catalog backup image.

-L output_file

Reports the results of the recovery in the specified output file.

-nbdb

Used with the -r option during catalog recovery to recover and resynchronize the NetBackup relational databases (NBDBs) and the BMR database (BMRDB), if BMR is configured.

For complete catalog recovery procedures, refer to the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide.

-priority number

Recovers the NetBackup relational database when used with -nbdb.

-r

Recovers the images from the specified policy name.

-wizard

Enables a user to perform the same functions from a command line that are present on the recovery wizard. For example, a user can specify the full pathname to the catalog disaster recovery file or recover the entire NetBackup catalog. The wizard prompts you for the catalog disaster recovery file.

The -copy option lets you select the number of the copy

EXAMPLES

Example 1 - Recover the entire NetBackup catalog or the catalog image and configuration files. On Windows, a series of screens takes you through the recovery process. On UNIX, a series of prompts takes you through the recovery process.

# bprecover -wizard

The disaster recovery information in the Troubleshooting Guide describes each step of the recovery process.

Example 2 - Recover the NetBackup relational databases and reports the results of the recovery in the recovery.rpt file.

# bprecover -r -nbdb -L recovery.rpt

The disaster recovery information of the Troubleshooting Guide describes each step of the recove

NathanNieman
Level 6

I had to use the DOS command to get the restore to work on my catalog.  

Path is C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd 

If your install is on the C drive.

Point the recover to your xxx-CATALOG-HOT_1345618852_FULL. should be a file you can open and look at where it is pointing to.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am late to this party and trying to figure out what this means:

There was a loss of some images in NetBackUp database from one year.

Help me to understand what this means? Did someone delete images or were images manually expired? Something else maybe?

The catalog backup that you found is dated 08/22/2012. How is restoring this data going to help you?
Doing a Full catalog recovery will discard all EMM database updates since that date.
Just restoring Images from this backup will leave image and EMM database out of sync.

How often are you doing hot catalog backups? What is DR-path in catalog backup policy? (Probably "G:\BACKUP\CatalogDB"?) How many files in this folder? Hopefully more recent files?

If this is your only catalog backup, you will be better off starting with phase 1 import of all unassigned media. Check Results of phase 1 import to see if you can find the 'missing' images.

hrom
Level 3
Certified

Thank you Nathan,

But I do not understand how to recover only required images from my file?

hrom
Level 3
Certified

It means that I do not know how they missed. May be someone delete it myabe manualyy expire it, may be there were disk errors.

Let me describe current situatiom: this issue was in august. Then we continue to work with current catalog.

Then there was an import and I imported 7 from 8 backup images (I know the number of tapes that were expired). But unfortunately I cannot import last image. Because after 1st phase of import "FRAGMENT 1 -1" was not found!. Other fragments were found succesfully. Phase 2 is impossible.

The catalog backup from 08/22/2012 have to consist of this fragment. And I will find required tape number...

Could you please help me how to find this fragment data?

NathanNieman
Level 6

Ah sorry I though you wanted the full catalog. 

hrom
Level 3
Certified

It is not bad to recover full catalog.

I can do it as a test. Then I will collect required data.

I tried to use bprecovery. And it does not work. There was this error:

F:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bprecover -wizard

Welcome to the NetBackup Catalog Recovery Wizard!

Please make sure the devices and media that contain catalog disaster recovery data are available
Are you ready to continue?(Y/N) y

Please specify the full pathname to the catalog disaster recovery file:
G:\backup\catalogDB\******-CATALOG-HOT_1345618852_FULL
server2_1345618852
Failed to find all media needed for catalog DR image
The following NetBackup backup image could not be located.
Please make sure those media servers are correctly configured and those disk images are available.
Host            Disk Image
server2               G:\BACKUP\server2_1345618852_C1_TIR           *NULL*
server2               G:\BACKUP\server2_1345618852_C1_F1            *NULL*
server2               G:\BACKUP\server2_1345618820_C1_F1            *NULL*

This error is the same as when I start catalog_recovery_wizard via Administration Console.

NathanNieman
Level 6

Are the above files on the G drive?

I no stupid question but have to ask.  from the error it seems like they are missing.

Marianne

Your backups don't seem to exist anymore. All of the following are needed (not just one):

Please make sure those media servers are correctly configured and those disk images are available.

You have mentioned ONE file in this folder: servername_1345618852_C1_F1.1345618852.img.

See if you can import this image.

If successful, you should be able to perform a 'normal' restore using BAR GUI, not bprecover.

Select master server as source client and policy type as 'NBU-Catalog'.
You should now be able to browse netbackup/db/images folders.

Hope this helps.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I am also late to this post so hopefully i have read it correctly ..

It looks to me like you backup your catalog to a disk storage unit located at G:\BACKUP

Do you also duplicate these backups to tape? If so that is you best chance to do a catalog recovery - if you work through the Catalog DR files you have they will have been updated when the tape copy was written with the Media ID of the tape

If you do find the tape (or can use the remaining disk image) I would reccomend you do all of this on an isolated test system - install NetBackup there with the same server name and to the same location and patch level and do your catalog restore on that system. Then use that to identify what you need.

Your only other option that may help is to look at the media section and try and find out which could be your missing import tapes - if you know the date of the backup you need to re-import then sort your media columns by the last mounted date to see which tapes were written at around that time and try an import on those to see if you can find the data.

Hope this helps

hrom
Level 3
Certified

Hello Mark,

I imported all possible tapes. And I implemented 2 phase of import 7 of 8 of lost policies.

In last policy were found all fragments without 1 -1.

There are about 1800 tapes that can be candidates on this last tape... It is imppossible task to import because I have insufficient window between backups.

I wanted to obtain it number via catalog restoration...

But I haven't got enough files.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Those files are from Wed, 22 Aug 2012 07:00:52 UTC so i am guessing that they no longer exist, though the path relates to not only the files but the server server_2 too

Do you also write your catalog backups to tape?

That seems to be your only option here although i am still concerned that recovering a 2012 catalog now will wipre everything you have done since that date so do only do this on a test system (named server_2 with the files - if they do exist - located at G:\BACKUP\

hrom
Level 3
Certified

Catalog is backed up only to disk.

I want to recover catalog on test machine.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - so what do you have available under G:\BACKUP\ on server_2?

Marianne

As per my post on 7 May:

Your backups don't seem to exist anymore. All of the following are needed (not just one):

So, you won't be able to recover from this particular backup. Sorry....

hrom
Level 3
Certified

It is bad..

Thanks for all your help!