Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup client installation automation

rVikas
Level 5
Partner

Hi Team,

Trying one automation where, during building a VM, backup agent should get be installed automatically and it should be added automatically to a default netbackup policy

here is my enviornment - 

Netbackup Master Server 8.1- Windows

Netbackup MEdia Server 8.1 - Windows

Netbackup Client 8.1 - RHEL 7.4

All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4

SachinSharma
Level 3

Vikas,

I understand the automatic backup part but if its a VM why do you require a NBU client installed?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) backup agent should get be installed automatically

Cannot be done by NetBackup Server without some very site specific and fairly extensive complex  custom scripting.  Same as any other backup product, same as any other application.  You will need to talk to your systems integrations team to get them to deploy NetBackup Client just as they would with any other regular tool/client/application which is installed across your site(s).

2) it should be added automatically to a default netbackup policy

Just use a VMware Intelligent Policy configuration, and any new VMs will always get backed up.  But this is a typical highly simplistic and actually unrealistic thinking.  It has always been a fact that anything important which needs to be backed-up needs to be carefully planned and considered.

manatee
Level 6

create a VM template and install all softwares you require that template. you use this template for any succeeding new VMs to be deployed. just remember to reconfigure NBU client agent to use the correct client hostname.

Hennepin-JB
Level 3

For install part, see https://gist.github.com/AspenForester/ccdc98227f1778c25265d422198ac10a

I wrote this to help automate silent installs, but my vSphere admin is using it in a build process too, once the new VM is a member of the domain.  You can call it with cmd.exe /c nbu8.cmd

There's a pure PowerShell installer in my PSNetbackup module repo.  https://github.com/AspenForester/PSNetBackup