cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup client server network port configuration

GHas
Level 4

Netbackup client server network port configuration

We have some Dell PowerEdge servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 that are connected using a fiber optic NIC and want to connect them to a backup network using their onboard copper port.   When installing the NBU client how would that be configured?

By default the fiber NIC is the only connection that the client software connects to not either of the two onboard copper ports, both which are enabled and connected.  What does the server configuration have to be to attach to one of the onboard copper ports.

kodo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Install the NBU client to whichever disk you want.  The client installation will by default take the server name, but we'll change that below.

So, backups cannot be performed over the fiber interfaces, but the copper interfaces are available to be routed to a backup network - or even in the same subnet.

It would seem to me that you may want to create a hosts file entry on the client and on all backup servers (master, and medias) for:   x.x.x.x myclient-bkp

...i.e. create hosts file entries for the IP on the copper interface.

Then modify the client's own name - so that later it can find it's own backups, so on the client do the following:

> echo client_name=myclient-bkp | bpsetconfig -h 127.0.0.1

(N.B. do NOT do this command on the master or any media server)

...which will set the client's name for itself.

The to backup this server, just use the name:   myclient-bkp      in your backup policy(ies).

Windows firewall rule for NetBackup Client can be created using:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cant-login-netbackup-administration-console-remote-console-intalled-my-laptop

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Install the NBU client to whichever disk you want.  The client installation will by default take the server name, but we'll change that below.

So, backups cannot be performed over the fiber interfaces, but the copper interfaces are available to be routed to a backup network - or even in the same subnet.

It would seem to me that you may want to create a hosts file entry on the client and on all backup servers (master, and medias) for:   x.x.x.x myclient-bkp

...i.e. create hosts file entries for the IP on the copper interface.

Then modify the client's own name - so that later it can find it's own backups, so on the client do the following:

> echo client_name=myclient-bkp | bpsetconfig -h 127.0.0.1

(N.B. do NOT do this command on the master or any media server)

...which will set the client's name for itself.

The to backup this server, just use the name:   myclient-bkp      in your backup policy(ies).

Windows firewall rule for NetBackup Client can be created using:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cant-login-netbackup-administration-console-remote-console-intalled-my-laptop

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is what most people do to config a backup network:

You first of all need to config backup network at OS level.

Each backup interface will need a new hostname associated with the IP address. e.g.

# Public network
192.168.10.1  master
192.168.10.2  media1
192.168.10.3  client1
192.168.10.4  client2

# Backup network
10.10.10.1 master-bk
10.10.10.2 media-bk
10.10.10.3 client1-bk
10.10.10.4 client2-bk

Update hosts entries on all servers and clients.
Use Host Properties or edit registry to add SERVER entries for -bk servers on all server and clients. 
If master server was installed with Public network address, you need to keep that name as 1st entry.

Change CLIENT_NAME in registry on all clients to -bk name.