Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup cluster passive node

Manish_Bhatia
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

In my environment, netbackup is running on vcs two node cluster. On passive node, netbackup services were stopped by mistake.

Now, if i try to run command netbackup start on passive node, what would be the imapct? will it effect the running netbackup on active node, or it will simply start the stand alone services (vnetd-standalone and bpcd-standalone).

Or if the failover happens to this 2nd node, will it be successful, if the (vnetd-standalone and bpcd-standalone) are not running.

Please respond.

Thanks & Regards

Manish

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can we assume that you are referring to a clustered NBU master server?

Failover will be successful, even with vnetd and bpcd not running.

I will not recommend running 'netbackup start' as it may try to start all processes.
Rather just start vnetd and bpcd standalone processes manually.

Check that PBX is running. It should always be running, as pbx is not normally part of the processes managed and monitored by VCS and will not be started at the time of failover.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can we assume that you are referring to a clustered NBU master server?

Failover will be successful, even with vnetd and bpcd not running.

I will not recommend running 'netbackup start' as it may try to start all processes.
Rather just start vnetd and bpcd standalone processes manually.

Check that PBX is running. It should always be running, as pbx is not normally part of the processes managed and monitored by VCS and will not be started at the time of failover.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You will get a concurrency violation and VCS will stop Netbackup on the secondary node or OS panic (reboot) the inactive node.

On a cluster always use the VCS command to star and stop netbackup. On cluster I usally remove the netbackup start script from /etc/init.d

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH9074

Manish_Bhatia
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Marianne and Nicolai. Starting particular service manually, was just out of my mind. Thanks for making me recall this step.

both services are now on passive node.

Kind Regards

Manish