Did you mean: 

Netbackup cluster upgrade from 6.5 to 7.1

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Hi All,

Setup :

6.5 clustered(VCS) master server with two node

Solaris 10

Yesterday i tried to upgrade 6.5 clustered master server to 7.1, i followed steps

1) Stop netbackup service group

2) Freeze resource group

3) stop nbu agent on both nodes

4) started upgrade in Active node

After upgrade was completed in Active node, upgrade script tried to upgrade in Secondary node how ever , since rsh was not enable between both nodes , secondary node could not be upgraded. Right now Active node is upgraded backups are working fine but secondary node is still running in 6.5     

My question is how do I proceed with upgrading in 2nd node, Do i manually upgrade it or let copy over binaries to 2nd node

another issue is , that binaries are local to both nodes but emm is shared in cluster which is not ideal setup i know

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Really? 6.5 software must be removed before you run installer on the host.
Review the steps you have done on both node.

NetBackup 7.1 Installation Guide, page 78
8. For Solaris servers only, remove the 6.x versions of all add-on products and database agents.

If you just run installer on primary node and nothing done on secondary node, freeze service group and try to proceed steps by step 8 on secondary node. Make sure to allow rsh execution on both nodes.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

FIRST MISTAKE:

1) Stop netbackup service group

ONLY NBU resource must be offlined.The rest of the SG must stay online. That will leave the shared disk and virtual hostname online so that EMM database can be upgraded as part of the process.

Steps for cluster upgrade is documented in Clustered Master Server Admin Guide http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3679

See this topic starting on p. 37: 
Upgrading a NetBackup failover server on VCS on Unix/Linux

The Installation Guide is also referenced as part of the steps: NBU Installation Guide for UNIX and Linux  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3647

Your cluster has probably been changed/to a one-node cluster.  All I can suggest is that log a support call to assess the current state and assist with 'fixing'...

The problem is that you cannot exactly 'roll back' since you have started running backups. I'm wondering what happened to the EMM upgrade if the entire SG was offlined - shared volume dismounted and dg deported, virtual IP offlined making virtual hostname unavailable.........

If rsh is now enabled, try to run the upgrade on node 2 as per the above documentation.

CDyer
Not applicable

The link above is for installing NetBackup on a Clustered MASTER SERVER - but what about just upgrading the SQL client on a Microsoft SQL Cluster? I was told to uninstall the previous version, which I did. But when I started the install, I got a message saying the install could not find the PREVIOUS version so couldn't continue!! Any pointers on this little glitch? Thanks!