cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup cluster upgrade

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Environment : Netbackup 7.1 on Solaris 10 running on two node VCS cluster.

Problem we have here is that primary node is 7.1 and secondary node is 6.5.  some images are already written since we upgraded to 7.1.

I am planning to upgrade secondary node also to 7.1. I wanted to get suggestions from you all what happens if i upgrade 6.6 node to 7.1 now will it overwrite all current images.

Another thing i wanted to know is, we are connecting IBM tape library to this setup , If i only visible tape library to active node and not passive node will this create any issues. Pl let me know views

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Upgrade inactive node BEFORE you do anything else.

Part of device config (after running device config on active node) is to failover to passive node and re-run device config wizard.

Please start a separate discussion for library replacement and let us deal with passive node upgrade in this thread.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne

No images will be overwritten.

NBU install script knows it is inactive node in a cluster and will just upgrade binaries.

See upgrade section of NBU Clustered Master Server Admin Guide

Amit_Karia
Level 6

Thanks Marianne

Should only nbu resource be taken offline or entire Service group and should upgrade script be run on active or passive node

Marianne

You have already upgrade the active node, so nothing else to do there.

No need to take NBU offline on active node. Just upgrade inactive node as per instructions in the guide.

PLEASE ensure that rsh is enabled. If inactive node cannot communicate with active node via rsh during upgrade, it will break the cluster (happened to me.... blush)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You should have upgraded both node to 7.1 - leaving one node at 6.5 will causes trouble in failover because the EMM database schema has been been upgraded to a new layout. Please refer to the upgrade procedure  in Symantec NetBackup Clustered Master Server 7.1 Administrator's Guide

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3679

Library: Yes that will case trouble in a failover, connect the library to a media server. Keep the master server as "pure" as possible.

Update:

Too late...

Amit_Karia
Level 6

We are de-commissioning current quantum scalar 50 tape library and installing IBM tape library , i am planning to make following changes.

1) Remove device configuration from both nodes.

2) Install TL and visible drive on both nodes

3) Build sg drivers on both nodes

4) perform device configuration on both nodes

5) Upgrade to 7.1 on passive node

There is no media server in our environment, Master server is acting as media server as well

Marianne

Upgrade inactive node BEFORE you do anything else.

Part of device config (after running device config on active node) is to failover to passive node and re-run device config wizard.

Please start a separate discussion for library replacement and let us deal with passive node upgrade in this thread.

Amit_Karia
Level 6

All

Passive node upgrade is done on secondary node with lot of fuzz, NBDB was not starting after upgrade as /usr/openv/db/data was not linked properly. Symantec engineer helped me out on that issue and finally both nodes are at the same level.

Thanks a lot for assistance