cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup communication process between client and servers.

_47
Level 3

Can somebody please explain the communication infrastructure in Netbackup between netbackup clients and servers.Also what is the role of the bpcd process in establishing this connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Bpcd is the connection daemon on clients (and servers). When a media server wants to initiate a backup job for a client it will do this via bpcd (connection will usually goto pbx first before bpcd or sometimes vnetd if pbx is not available) Bpcd will then check if that server is allowed to request that backup or restore by checking incoming ip of the media server resolves to a hostname in the clients SERVER list. Bpcd is then responsible for launching the client process such as bpbkar or tar for backups and restores depending on the incoming request (usually from bpbrm on the media server)

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
Bpcd is the connection daemon on clients (and servers). When a media server wants to initiate a backup job for a client it will do this via bpcd (connection will usually goto pbx first before bpcd or sometimes vnetd if pbx is not available) Bpcd will then check if that server is allowed to request that backup or restore by checking incoming ip of the media server resolves to a hostname in the clients SERVER list. Bpcd is then responsible for launching the client process such as bpbkar or tar for backups and restores depending on the incoming request (usually from bpbrm on the media server)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please read through the backup process flow description in the NetBackup Logging Reference Guide (page 66 onwards).

All processes in the Comms chain is explained.

Deb_home
Level 3

In-line to above query, i have one general question,

- Who invokes bpjm(Master server or media server), during the life time of a back-up process, does the master server communicates with storage device? Is there any poll for keep-alive status between master-server and storage device? 

Or the communication only happens Master->media->storage-server ?(Media server with interact with client)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you had a look at above doc?

Media and device comms from p.75 onwards.

Deb_home
Level 3

I have a scenario where, i do not have any direct communication between my master server and SAN storage device. Master server can communicate only with media server and  media server can communicate with client.

If my understanding is correct after going through above document page number-105, Non of the master server process directly interact with the Storage device.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Correct (if the master is not being used as a Media server)

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

There is no bpjm process. There is a nbjm process (on the master) and a bptm process (on the media).

I would advise you to post your questions in a new thread please.