cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup configuration with EMC DataDomain

Zakir_Khan_786
Level 3
Partner
Hi, We have to configure Netbackup with EMC DataDomain. We have VTL license for EMC, don't have DDboost license. I have physically connected master server and DD with FC. We want the data to go through FC only. But I don't want to use VTL. Any other option ?
4 REPLIES 4

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

If you do not have DD Boost you cannot use teh DDBoost over Fiber Channel.

I guess you do not have any other option if you don't want to use VTL.

You can try 10g connectivity. I hope your DD has 10g card.

Genericus
   VIP   

Not sure you have to use BOOST, but allocating the disk to each media server may suck.

New versions of DDOS allow BOOST over FC - especially for windows. 

I have DD and I am on Solaris, so I remain SOL. :(

You should check with your EMC rep, since you will need almost the latest DDOS, in order to get this.

Let us know how it goes!

I have nothing but good to say about the throughput from my Data Domains, they are excellent.

Nothing like writing 700TB to 100TB of disk, at ludicrous speeds.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Zakir_Khan_786
Level 3
Partner

If I configer VTL, will i get Deduplication

Genericus
   VIP   

Yes, but talk to EMC about your options - I would avoid it if possible. 

If you do set up VTL, use small tapes - I set mine to 50GB, instead of a more normal size ( this is easy to do as you create tapes ) to minimize tape contention.

I set up seperate pools for each of my groups, like vtl.windows vtl.oracle, vtl.vmware, vtl.unix, so tapes from one group do not get locked by slow backups from another group.

I had to set up a daily process that detects tapes moved to scratch and relabels them - relabelling tapes makes the deduplicated data available to be cleaned.

You need to monitor the space used and determine the cleaning schedule best for you.

I have been keeping 2 weeks of backups on my DD, I am expanding that to 3 weeks. My dedupe varies wildly based on what I am backing up, but averages about 6X

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS