cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup console screen turns white.

GB56
Level 3

Hello,

I am using Netbackup Enterprise Server 6.5 on a Solaris 10 workstation.  When I try to do a restore the console turns white and shows a watch for the cursor after about a half an hour. I increased the INITIAL_MEMORY to 256M and the MAX_MEMORY to 1024M in the nbj.conf file, rebooted the suystem and tried another restore and got the same results.  The screen turns white and never recovers. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

First of all you are running unsupported Netbackup version. Netbackup 6.5 is end of life and end of support.

If you see this kind of behviour then many times it has got to do with java on your machine or if the required ports are blocked.

Has it worked ever before? Did you try to open the admin console, does it work? Are you tring to use the remote admin console from a remote machine or you are trying on the Solaris server itself?

GB56
Level 3

SymGuy-IT,

Thanks for the info.  unfortunately I am stuck with Netbackup 6.5 for at least a feww more months.  I am new to this project but they were able to do a backup last year.  I am trying to restore from the Solaris server directly. I have not tried a remote session.

GulzarShaikhAUS
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

PLease share following log files - 

/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/nbjlogs

/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-msvc

/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bpjava-usvc

GB56
Level 3

Here is the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/user_ops/nbjlogs.  the other files do not exist.

DISPLAY environment variable is set to: :0.0
Console was started on:
 SunOS ranirad 5.10 Generic_139556-08 i86pc i386 i86pc

Command line options were:
 /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/jnbSA

Starting administration console version 6.5.

LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_TIME=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_COLLATE=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_MONETARY=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.ISO8859-1
LC_ALL=en_US.ISO8859-1

java version "1.5.0_17"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_17-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_17-b04, mixed mode)

Character encoding = ISO8859_1
Login at: [4/8/15 1:30:31 PM MST] - host: ranirad
 port: 13722 username: root locale sent to bpjava: en_US.ISO8859-1
 Java default locale: en_US Java version: 1.5.0_17
 NetBackup Build: 20091105
vrts.nbu.admin.icache.NBGUIORBConfigurator:
FIREWALL_IN=null
REQUIRED_NETWORK=null
REQUIRED_INTERFACE=null
Source Addresses=[]
Destination Addresses=[]
NBJAVA_CORBA_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT=60
[ jacorb.home unset! Will use '.' ]
[ File ./jacorb.properties for configuration jacorb not found ]
vrts.nbu.admin.icache.NBGUIORBConfigurator:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1556:nbsl
vrts.nbu.admin.icache.NBGUIORBConfigurator:project-igb0:1556:nbsl
Exception in thread "Thread-3" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
 at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "SwingWorker thread-2" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.NullPointerException: NullPointerException: constructor failed.
 at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.run(Native Method)
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.NullPointerException: NullPointerException: constructor failed.
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.NullPointerException: NullPointerException: constructor failed.
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spaceException in thread "AWT-Motif"
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" java.lang.NullPointerException: NullPointerException: constructor failed.
Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" Exception in thread "AWT-Motif" X connection to :0.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This is 32-bit?  I don't know how well that worked even when it WAS supported...

You might want to bone up on bpadm or command line restores...

Can you access your master (is this the master, by the way?) via Java console fired from some other machine, perhaps?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Curious to know where and how exactly you are starting the Java Console... Does this master have a graphics card and screen where you logon locally? Or some sort of x-terminal where you need to export the display to your desktop? If you can find NBU 6.5 Windows installation media, I suggest that you install the Windows Java Console on your desktop and patch to same level as the master.

GB56
Level 3

Marianne,
Thank you for your help. I was not able to reinstall the Java console due to the fact that I could not find the Netbackup disk. Even though the screen went white and I could not access anything, the restore did complete. I logged off and back on a few hours later and saw that the backup completed. We are in the process of buying new hardware and Netbackup 7.x with Tier 4 support. Thanks again for your help.