cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup data migrate to another server.

traghav86
Level 5

Morning Guys

Please advise

I need to migrate over 60TB Netbackup data to a different netbackup server/storage due to existing servers are purchased by my client and now i need to get the data out of those devices.

Existing devices are Netbackup Appliance running on 7.6.1.2 and new Netbackup will be on same version.

Your advise will be most appriciate.

Rahul
14 REPLIES 14

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Your data is stored in an PureDisk pool on the appliance, so for the quickest transfer you should migrate it to the same type of device. Another appliance would be preferred, but a MSDP could also work. Once you've installed the new appliance / msdp into your current netbackup domain, simply duplicate all images to the new devices, expire the copies on the old device, and decommission the old device.

Marianne
Level 6

Are only media server devices/appliances getting replaced?

Or master server as well?

Master server migration is more complex and may require services from qualified catman (catalog manipulation) consultant/partner.

traghav86
Level 5

Hi Riaan

Thanks for reply, Please comment if i miss something.

my new server will be

1.Master server with Linux

2.Media Windows servers

3.Data Domain OST.

Is it neccessary to keep new server name identical with old name ?

catlaouge restore to new server ?

Rahul

traghav86
Level 5

yes master and media getting replaced.

Rahul

Marianne
Level 6

Is the master also Appliance with own MSDP pool?

If new Appliance master server will have different hostname, best to setup as new environment and start sending backups there.

Configure AIR between the masters and use nbreplicate to replicate unexpired backups from all msdp pools to appliances in new environment.

If new master is not an Appliance with different hostname, you will need catman services...

traghav86
Level 5

Hi

New master server is not an appliance?

can i setup a AIR between old and new serevrs instead of duplicateing images?

Rahul

Marianne
Level 6
What is old master server? If Appliance, catalog recovery can be done to new master but only with same hostname. If different hostname, Customer will need catman services. AIR or optimised duplication cannot be done from MSDP to DD. Only likewise dedupe software. Whoever sold this solution to your customer should include full migration service.

traghav86
Level 5

I am going to use Data domain for storage and i think we can use Datadomain as Puredisk

Rahul

Marianne
Level 6
No. You can either use DD as OST with relevant plugin as DataDomain diskpool or via NFS as Basic Disk. No option to use DD as MSDP/PureDisk pool. Again , whoever sold or suggested this solution should've done their homework and come up with migration plan. I have seen in the past how a resource from a DD reseller spent MONTHS at a customer site manually duplicating backups to new DD within the same NBU domain, not even different master server domain....

Marianne
Level 6
Oh, and was the customer told that they will lose Client-side dedupe with DD?

traghav86
Level 5

Hi Marianne

So, can you please advise me

how can i drive this migration from current environment which is Netbackup appliacen 1xMaster 3xMedia serevrs to new environment will be DD or external Storage as MSDP.

Rahul

Marianne
Level 6
I would NOT recommend to replace the existing Appliances with DD. So, I am the wrong person to ask. You really need to go back to whoever suggested this solution.

RiaanBadenhorst

You'll have to export to tape to get it from one domain to the other.

Marianne
Level 6
About your question regarding " ... external Storage as MSDP", go back to Riaan's 1st reply above.