Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup deduplication database

MohdAlim
Level 5
Partner

Hi

Few queries with regards to Netbackup deduplication database:

1) If you have multiple storage servers, does each storage server maintains its own deduplication database?

2) Does the list of fingerprints reside in the deduplication database?

3) Assuming you have 2 storage nodes, A & B, each configure with a direct attached storage. First day, you configure Policy 1 to use storage server A. The second day you configure Policy 1 to use storage server B. Will Policy 1 knows the existence of the fingerprint list from storage server A or will it start with a full backup?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

1: If you have MSDP in mind the answer is yes. 

2: yes - when using client side deduplication each client has a local hash copy to speed things up.

3: Netbackup scheduler  track full and incremental independent of what MSDP data is stored in. There is no global fingerprint using MSDP. If you have 10GB of unique data on a client and write it to two MSDP pool both MSDP pool will use 10GB of storage. 

If you plan to use Puredisk the answers will be different :)

MohdAlim
Level 5
Partner

I have further queries with regards to item (3). If the client has been configured to use MSDP A all the time, the fingerprint list generated from the deduplication database will show all the previous backup relating to client. Subsequently, if the client is configured to use MSDP B for the first time, will the fingerprint list able to show the previous backup? Or will it treat it as the first full backup?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Very good question - that I do not know the answer to.

But I guess all unique data from the client will need to be transferred to MSDP B (so full). Can you test it  ?