Netbackup doesn't use correct mediaserver for duplication

Jules1
Level 3

Hi everybody,

Here is my environment :

Master Server 7.5.0.6 (windows server)

Media Server 7.5.0.6 (windows server)

Media Server 7.1.0.4 (rhel)

I have created 2 storage unit groups. The first one is 2 puredisks (one of each mediaserver) and the second one is 2 robots (one of each mediaserver) configured in failover mode.

I modified and created SLPs in order to backup on the Puredisk STUG then duplicate on the Robot STUG.

It seems to work properly except that duplication jobs sometimes try to use the master server as media server to duplicate. In this cas, the job mount the media tape in the robot but is not able to write. I have to cancel the duplication and pray that the next job use the correct media server.

As my master server is only use as master, may I disable media server role of my master server without impact on my architecture ?

mph999 on a thread said that the command "nbemmcmd -changesetting -common_server_for_dup required -machinename <master server name>"  force NBU to match the duplication media server to be the same server that ran the SLP backup. Can it have others impact ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jules

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you want to control which media servers can access a disk pool you can use the GUI.

In the Administration Console goto:

Media and Device Manager > Credentials > Storage servers

Open the properties dialog for the disk you want to control

The first tab is the media server tab. Uncheck the master server to disallow access.

Now all jobs will use only the media server itself.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From command guide:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO43719

"-COMMON_SERVER_FOR_DUP default | preferred | required

Determines how NetBackup finds the desired media server(s) to duplicate the data.

The media server used to read the image is the 'read media server'. The media server used to write the image is the 'write media server'. By default, when the source image is on a tape device, the read media server is the one that writes the backup image. Also, when the source image is on a disk pool with multiple media servers, any of those media servers may be used as the read media server. The choice for the write media server is limited to those that have access to the storage unit or storage unit group specified as the destination of the duplication.

The following are the possible settings of this option:

Default. NetBackup does not perform an exhaustive search for possible common servers (same read and write media server). If the common media servers are busy or unavailable, NetBackup uses a different write media server than the read media server. Use this option when you don't want an exhaustive search to impact the performance of the Resource Broker. This scenario can occur when a large job queue with duplication jobs wait for resources to become available.

Preferred. Look for a common media server to use. If one or more common media servers are found, but their resources (e.g., DSUs or tape drives and tapes) are busy, run the duplication job anyway by using two separate media servers (sending images over the network).

Required. NetBackup makes an exhaustive search to find a common server. If the common media servers are busy, NetBackup queues the resource request and waits for the resources to become available. If no common servers are in the NetBackup domain, or if a common server exists but is down, NetBackup runs the job with two separate media servers, sending the images over the network."

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you want to control which media servers can access a disk pool you can use the GUI.

In the Administration Console goto:

Media and Device Manager > Credentials > Storage servers

Open the properties dialog for the disk you want to control

The first tab is the media server tab. Uncheck the master server to disallow access.

Now all jobs will use only the media server itself.

Jules1
Level 3

Great !!!

Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I have only the image of one storage server impacted and as you mentionned the master server was checked.

I'll confirm that my problem is resolved in a few minutes as soon as my running duplication jobs are finished.

Thanks again.

Jules1
Level 3

My problem seems solved. \o/

Thanks! You're the man B-)