cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup duplication backup is getting fail with error code 191..

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

Netbackup master server 7.5.0.6 and backup configured with windows client, 

backup configured with SLP as 1st copy to deduplication disk and 2nd copy duplication to tape with 2 differnt media server.

backup to deduplication disk is getting successful, but duplication to tape is getting fail with error code 191 with below error.

Please advise to fix this issue.

6/2/2014 9:07:27 AM - Critical bpdm sts_read_image failed: error 2060017 system call failed     

6/2/2014 9:07:27 AM - Critical bpdm image read failed: error 2060017: system call failed    

6/2/2014 9:07:28 AM - Error bpdm cannot read image from disk, Invalid argument     

6/2/2014 9:07:47 AM - Error bpduplicate host xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx backup id xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx read failed, media read error (85). 

6/2/2014 9:07:47 AM - Error bpduplicate host xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx backupid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx write failed, termination requested by administrator (150). 

6/2/2014 9:07:47 AM - Error bpduplicate Duplicate of backupid xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx failed, termination requested by administrator (150).  

6/2/2014 9:07:47 AM - Error bpduplicateStatus = no images were successfully processed.     

6/2/2014 9:07:47 AM - end Duplicate; elapsed time: 00:01:24

no images were successfully processed(191)

15 REPLIES 15

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We need to firstly see you SLP config. Please post a screenshot.

Any chance you have configured the tape media server as alternate read host?
This will fail as the tape media server does not have access to disk storage.

Any chance you can zone the tape drives to the MSDP media server?
You really want duplications to happen on the SAN, not MSDP media server needing to read the deduped data, rehidrate it and send across the network to another media server, right?

To understand what is happening with media server unable to read the backup from disk, please ensure that all of these log folders exist on all media servers:

bptm and bpdm.

Copy logs to .txt files (e.g. media1-bptm.txt, etc) and upload as file attachments. 
Tell us which media server is MSDP media server and which ones tape media server when you upload files.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

6/2/2014 9:07:28 AM - Error bpdm cannot read image from disk, Invalid argument     

6/2/2014 9:07:47 AM - Error bpduplicate host xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx backup id xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx read failed, media read error (85). 

does it ever worked...?

looks like 2nd media server does not have the privilages to read the images on the Dedpulication device...

you have 2 option now..

1) give the privilages to the 2nd media server on the dedup pool that is being used by the 1st media server and let the duplication run fine(recommended way)

2) put 1st media server as a alternate read server in the 2nd operation of the SLP( this chage only applicable only for the images that are being created after the SLP chage)  if you would like to do it for older images that are already been backed up you need to update the older version of the SLP tooo

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Nagalla,

Thanks for information,

Please let me know,

1. how to give privilages to 2nd media server on the deduplication pool,

2, If I add the 1st media server as alternate read server is SLP, how can i update older version of the SLP to duplicate the older images.

Thanks in Advance...

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Maybe a memory pool issues if the media server involved is Windows 2003

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87643

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56511

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for your information, the media server is 2008 server.

Marianne

Please reply to my post above.

We are all trying to help you here.

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Marianne,

in SLP, backup with deduplication storage (media1) and duplication to tape manager (media2), I didnt select alternate read media server in SLP policy for duplciation.

I have found the backup images failure in pdplugin logs, I have test the backup verify command for this backup image, it was failed with  

06/04/14 11:28:18 [5324] [6108] [ERROR] PDVFS: pdvfs_io_pread: CRDOReaderRead for xxxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxxxxx_C1_F1.img failed: read error (25)

INF - Verify of policy xxxxx, schedule xxxxxx (xxxxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxxxxxx failed, client did not start.

INF - Status = no images were successfully processed.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Can you restore anything from the image in question as a test ?

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

I have added media01 as alternate read server in duplication job, but still backup is falling with same error. Also I tried to add media02 in media01 - storage server' credentical, it was  failed, due to unsuccessful to add/delete/update server name.

i have created new policy for same client with media server media02(tape). The job was completed successfully. The issue is, media02 (tape media server) is unable to read the backup image from media01 ( msdp pool )

Marianne

I have test the backup verify command for this backup image, it was failed .....

No point to keep on trying if image is corrupt.

Probably best to expire this image and rerun the backup. 

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Marianne,

I hope, the backup image is not corrupted, because I have cancelled the SLP duplication jobs and rerun the new backup for same client, the backup was completed successfully, but duplication got failed with error code 191. 

Marianne

If image verify fails, then duplication will fail as well.

You need bpdm log on media01 to troubleshoot.

See this TN for suggestions: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH66403 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You say:

I have added media01 as alternate read server in duplication job, but still backup is falling with same error. Also I tried to add media02 in media01 - storage server' credentical, it was failed, due to unsuccessful to add/delete/update server name.

So can media1 resolve media2 and vice versa?

The error you are getting is:

06/04/14 11:28:18 [5324] [6108] [ERROR] PDVFS: pdvfs_io_pread: CRDOReaderRead for xxxxxxxxx_xxxxxxxxxxx_C1_F1.img failed: read error (25)

Status 25 is "cannot connect" - so i am thinking that the servers either cannot resolve each other or do not give each other access

So make sure that they can resolve each other using short and FQDN and also make sure they have each other in their netbackup servers list (host properties)

Hope this helps

Marianne

The fact that the Verify of the image is failing is worrying.

We first of all need to ensure that media01 can read the backup image from disk. Verify must be successful.

The next thing is to confirm comms between media01 and media02.

Forget about duplication for a moment - Configure a small test backup where media02 tape STU is selected as backup destination, media01 as the Client and a very small folder in the Backup Selection.
media01 must have a SERVER entry for media02.
Forward and reverse name lookup must work between these 2 and port 1556 must be open in both directions.

Is the backup successful?

Only when such a backup is successful do we again go onto duplication attempt.
Here media01 can be seen as the client of media02.
media01 must read data from disk and send it across the network to media02.
It is not possible for media02 to be 'alternate read server' as it has no access to the disk on media01.
Best to have this entry blank in the SLP.

The problem seems to be with duplication attempt that was at one stage configured with media02 as AltRead server.
You need to ensure that the correct SLP 'version' is used.

The ideal would be to have tape drives on media01 so that duplication can take place on the SAN and not across the network.

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi Mark and Marianne,

Thanks for all detail information, I will check tomorrow and update.