cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup error: cannot connect to robotic software daemon (42)

Jocar
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear all,

I have recently installed Netbackup 7.0 for Unix on a Unix (Solaris 10 _ X86) platform machine. The server is Sun Fire X4270 attached directly to SUN SL48 Tape library (through fiber).  The Master server is not able to auto-discover or access to robot, but it is able to detect the 2 tape drives. 

I am getting the following error: cannot connect to robotic software daemon (42)

However, I have a secondary site where I have the exactly the same machine type (SUN Fire X4270 with Solaris 10 X86)) and tape library (SL48). I also I have installed the same patches on both servers. The second server is a media server that is attached to SL48 directly through fiber connection. The robot is correctly functioning with no issue. 

I have tried to install the robot using the sg.install script, but i got the following error:

Warning: Driver (sg) successfully added to system but failed to attach
WARNING: /usr/sbin/add_drv failed.
There may be no SCSI devices on this machine

WARNING: /usr/sbin/add_drv failed.
There may be no SCSI devices on this machine.

Could anybody help please? 

best regards, 

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Does the robot show in the boot promt if you type: probe-scsi-all

If not, it's a connectivity issue and not Netbackup problem.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Certain Solaris patches 'break' the sg driver.

Please see this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56850

Jocar
Level 3

The OS is Solaris 10 X86 and doens't support probe-scsi-all commnad. However, I have tried the Luxadm probe command and the robot is shown with two tape drives. Moreover, the luxadm -e port is showing that the two tape drives are connected, but not the robot. 

Jocar
Level 3

I have already tried this, but with now success. 

The /dev/sg path show 3 files (2 for tape drives and 1 for robot), however, the robot file in /dev/sg can't be accessed and not readable. 

any other suggestion?

thank you,

liuyingying
Level 2

I also met the situation like this. Sun Fire X4270 Server Minimum Supported Operating Environment Version is Solaris 10 10/08 (U6) 64-bit or later (pre-installed). It can not back out to patch 125082-08 (x86). Finaly I installed SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, (SP2) 64-bit intead.

Jocar
Level 3

I have two SUN FIRE X4270 (one master server and the other one is media server). I have no problem with the media server one, the NB is able to access the robot without any problem. 

Note: I have the same OS and Patch level on both machines. 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Install NBU 7.0.1 patch. The patch will include updated sg driver.

If it still doesn't work after that, please open a support call with Symantec.