cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup error: cannot connect to robotic software daemon (42)

Jocar
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear all,

I have recently installed Netbackup 7.0 for Unix on a Unix (Solaris 10 _ X86) platform machine. The server is Sun Fire X4270 attached directly to SUN SL48 Tape library (through fiber).  The Master server is not able to auto-discover or access to robot, but it is able to detect the 2 tape drives. 

I am getting the following error: cannot connect to robotic software daemon (42)

However, I have a secondary site where I have the exactly the same machine type (SUN Fire X4270 with Solaris 10 X86)) and tape library (SL48). I also I have installed the same patches on both servers. The second server is a media server that is attached to SL48 directly through fiber connection. The robot is correctly functioning with no issue. 

I have tried to install the robot using the sg.install script, but i got the following error:

Warning: Driver (sg) successfully added to system but failed to attach
WARNING: /usr/sbin/add_drv failed.
There may be no SCSI devices on this machine

WARNING: /usr/sbin/add_drv failed.
There may be no SCSI devices on this machine.

Could anybody help please? 

best regards, 

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Does the robot show in the boot promt if you type: probe-scsi-all

If not, it's a connectivity issue and not Netbackup problem.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Certain Solaris patches 'break' the sg driver.

Please see this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56850

Jocar
Level 3

The OS is Solaris 10 X86 and doens't support probe-scsi-all commnad. However, I have tried the Luxadm probe command and the robot is shown with two tape drives. Moreover, the luxadm -e port is showing that the two tape drives are connected, but not the robot. 

Jocar
Level 3

I have already tried this, but with now success. 

The /dev/sg path show 3 files (2 for tape drives and 1 for robot), however, the robot file in /dev/sg can't be accessed and not readable. 

any other suggestion?

thank you,

liuyingying
Level 2

I also met the situation like this. Sun Fire X4270 Server Minimum Supported Operating Environment Version is Solaris 10 10/08 (U6) 64-bit or later (pre-installed). It can not back out to patch 125082-08 (x86). Finaly I installed SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, (SP2) 64-bit intead.

Jocar
Level 3

I have two SUN FIRE X4270 (one master server and the other one is media server). I have no problem with the media server one, the NB is able to access the robot without any problem. 

Note: I have the same OS and Patch level on both machines. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Install NBU 7.0.1 patch. The patch will include updated sg driver.

If it still doesn't work after that, please open a support call with Symantec.