cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup error "unable to obtain list of files using specified search criteria"

abhinavs
Level 3
Partner

Dear All,

We are getting below error while trying to restore.

restore erroe.jpg

We are unable to see list of files for only few days backup, we are able to restore for all the other days with no issue.

I tried to check content of images .f files and get below error for the days I am getting error during restore.

C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin>cat_convert.exe -dump "g:\Program Files\NBU_DB\db\images\DEXA01\1393000000\ACC_BKP_AB_1393356474_FULL.f"
num     len     plen    dlen    blknum  ii      raw_sz  GB      dev_num path    data

The source file contains no file records or is not a properly formatted files file.

For other days we are able to view the contents.

I need to confirm how we can recreate damage .f files, do I need to recatalog the media? this issue is for only for few selected days.

Also all the images are from 2014.

9 REPLIES 9

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) What type of storage unit was the backup originally written to?

2) Is it SLP managed?  If yes, what are the SLP stages?

3) What does this show:

dir "g:\Program Files\NBU_DB\db\images\DEXA01\1393000000\ACC_BKP_AB_1393356474*

1393356474 = 25/02/2014 19:27:54

...but the image selected in the GUI appears to be from June 2014.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Any historie of disk crash or expansion of catalog disk size ?

what does "bpimagelist -backupid DEXA01_1393356474 | findstr IMAGE" say ?

abhinavs
Level 3
Partner

We are taking backup on tape storage unit, no SLP is there.

Also these images are from June, feb and March 2014.

i have checked the output of 

bpimagelist -L -client client_name -d date

and able to view all the details also find the associated .f file, when I check the .f file we are getting this issue.

If I import the required media will this issue resolve?

sdo

What does this show:

dir "g:\Program Files\NBU_DB\db\images\DEXA01\1393000000\ACC_BKP_AB_1393356474*"

abhinavs
Level 3
Partner

Dear SDO,

I currently dont have accessto client server.

Do you need the date, time and size of .f file.

The file is from 26th feb 2014 also the size of .f file is less than 1 kb. Also this file exists on the location.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

File size of 1K could indicate a possible corruption. However if this is a Exchange information store - with limited file info it could be OK.

But we can't say "remote".

If possible, see if you can find a equivalent version of the UNIX command "strings" and then run the strings command on the .f file. A strings command show what ASCII character a binary file contain.

E.g

strings ACME_NBU_CATALOG_GOLD_1449950650_FULL.f
CATALOG-5.0
PROXY_BACKUP
openv
staging
BMRDB.db
BMRDB.db
BMRDB.log.1
BMRDB.log.1
BMR_DATA.db
BMR_DATA.db
BMR_INDEX.db
BMR_INDEX.db
DARS_DATA.db
DARS_DATA.db
DARS_INDEX.db
DARS_INDEX.db
DBM_DATA.db
DBM_DATA.db
(shortned)

abhinavs
Level 3
Partner

Dear Nicolai,

We are taking file level backup.

Also is it possible to recatalog using tape import.

sdo

Yes, I was after a view of the size of the files, and a listing of the "set" of files, just to get a feeling of how it looks.

I think Nicolai is heading in the right direction, in that a small 1KB .f file doesn't look right.

And Nicolai has asked whether your master server had any issues (server/application crashes, disk space) around the dates of the bad images?

Have you tried to "bplist" one of the bad images?

But I suspect the same/similar error to the BAR GUI browse would be seen (is this effectively calls bplist).

You could check the "bpdbm" log on the master for any pertinent log entries which might reveal the actual root cause of the error message - but it probably won't explain the true root cause of what actually caused the issue in the first place.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The catalog example was just to show you how the strings command could be used.