cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup error restoring Exchange mailbox

Sem
Level 3

Hello,

I have Netbackup 6.0 mp6 and I'm trying to restore a mailbox to an Exchange 2003 server. The mailbox/user that is being restored does not exists in our environment, neither does the storage group that the user belonged too.

I'm not very familiar with Netbackup but I have read through the admin guide for Exchange Admin's and with it and what was posted on this forum I've made it to the point where the mailbox appears to be restored. I can view the status of the restore and it looks good except for the end where I get (646424.xxx) INF - Status = network read failed  (error 42)

In exchange system manager I can see the new mailbox and it shows that there are messages in the mailbox but when I open the mailbox in outlook there are no messages listed.

The account I am using to view it in outlook has full permissions to the mailbox (I've also logged in as the user and still I dont' see anything in outlook).

If I try to exmerge the account to a pst it only exports the folder structure and no messages.

If you need to me post logs just let me know where they are located by default and I'll post them.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I only have a 6.5 manual, but the principals should be the same.

I see the following under this topic:

Redirecting a restore of mailbox objects or public folders to a different path

The following are requirements for redirecting a restore.
■ The NetBackup directive Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\ or Microsoft Exchange Public Folders:\ of the destination path cannot be changed. If it is changed, NetBackup does not recognize that it is an Exchange mailbox or public folder restore. NetBackup then attempts to restore the objects as normal files.
■ If the destination path’s mailbox name is changed from the original, the destination mailbox or destination folder must already exist. It also must have an associated user account.

I believe your restore destination must be something like this:

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\new_user\

As per the manual, new_user mailbox must exist and must have a user account.

Create a tar log dir on the Exchange server for troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sem
Level 3

More info:

When restoring a mailbox I choose

"Restore everything to a different location (maintaing existing structure):

Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\test, restore [restoretest]\Microsoft Information Store:\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store\test, restore [restoretest]\

That is the path that I use to restore. I've seen the following in the admin guide and I'm wondering if this isn't my issue:

(from pg. 72 -

When redirecting mailbox backups, if the third segment of the destination path is modified (the Exchange folders “Top of Information Store,” “Views,” “Finder”), the selected object is restored to that specified folder name. The new folder can be seen when you browse for backups and is backed up on subsequent backups of that mailbox. However, the folder and any subfolders and messages in that folder cannot be viewed by using Outlook.

If this is what my problem is then how do get those messages that have been restored?

Sem
Level 3

I also have backups of the exchange stores but I don't see those listed in the NetBackup history. I assume they have expired off? If so then would it be easier to import them and try to restore from those tapes?

We were doing hot backups of the catalog, not sure if that makes a difference.

Marianne
Level 6

I only have a 6.5 manual, but the principals should be the same.

I see the following under this topic:

Redirecting a restore of mailbox objects or public folders to a different path

The following are requirements for redirecting a restore.
■ The NetBackup directive Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes:\ or Microsoft Exchange Public Folders:\ of the destination path cannot be changed. If it is changed, NetBackup does not recognize that it is an Exchange mailbox or public folder restore. NetBackup then attempts to restore the objects as normal files.
■ If the destination path’s mailbox name is changed from the original, the destination mailbox or destination folder must already exist. It also must have an associated user account.

I believe your restore destination must be something like this:

As per the manual, new_user mailbox must exist and must have a user account.

Create a tar log dir on the Exchange server for troubleshooting.

Marianne
Level 6

Catalog backups makes no difference to retention period of your backup images. It is determined by the retention period in your backup schedule.

Yes, expired backups can be imported (provided the tapes were not overwritten by new backups).

Information Store backups can be restored to a Recovery Storage Group. See this TN:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH45815

Sem
Level 3

Marianne,

Thank you for your response. I was not specifying the correct destination path, after using

my restore worked.

Thank you again.