cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup failed backup jobs

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hello All, Does Netbackup failed jobs get cleaned out immediately? My immpression is that, any failed netbackup jobs does not get written or committed to nbu storage, hence nothing to clean out in the first instance. However, I would appreciate you guys opinion. Also, will appreciate guide reference to this. Thank you

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Mike_Gavrilov
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Dollypee wrote:

Hello All, Does Netbackup failed jobs get cleaned out immediately? My immpression is that, any failed netbackup jobs does not get written or committed to nbu storage, hence nothing to clean out in the first instance. However, I would appreciate you guys opinion. Also, will appreciate guide reference to this. Thank you

As I understand you want to clarify if NetBackup deletes images that weren't completed because of the job failure. AFAIR Yes, NBU deletes such images in the end of the such job. 

View solution in original post

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

that depends on storage type:

- basic disk images are deleted immediatelly after failure

- MSDP images blocks need not be deleted immediately, because fingerprints can be reused during next job attempt - see GarbageCheckRemainDCCount parameter

- tape images from jobs which failed "cleanly" (NBU managed to write EOF mark on tape) are not physically deleted and the tape space is wasted

- tape images from jobs which failed "ungracefully" (NBU did not manage to write EOF mark - OS failures etc.) dont appear to ever exist on the tape thus space can be reused

There was a KB regarding described tape behaviour some time ago, today I did not manage to find it.

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mike_Gavrilov

@Dollypee wrote:

As I understand you want to clarify if NetBackup deletes images that weren't completed because of the job failure. AFAIR Yes, NBU deletes such images in the end of the such job. 

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

@Mike_Gavrilov Yes, I wanted to confirm if uncompleted or failed backup jobs get cleaned out immediately from backup storages such as disk or tapes without waiting for set image retention period. 

Mike_Gavrilov
NBU deletes such images from disk-based STU but doesn’t delete from tapes.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

that depends on storage type:

- basic disk images are deleted immediatelly after failure

- MSDP images blocks need not be deleted immediately, because fingerprints can be reused during next job attempt - see GarbageCheckRemainDCCount parameter

- tape images from jobs which failed "cleanly" (NBU managed to write EOF mark on tape) are not physically deleted and the tape space is wasted

- tape images from jobs which failed "ungracefully" (NBU did not manage to write EOF mark - OS failures etc.) dont appear to ever exist on the tape thus space can be reused

There was a KB regarding described tape behaviour some time ago, today I did not manage to find it.

Regards

Michal